Bartlein barrel contour for 300 PRC?

If you look at the contour dimensions on the Bartlein website you can get an idea of why they recommend their #4 contour. The use of suppressors and muzzle brakes has gained so much momentum that most folks choose one or both for their builds.

If the Bartlein 3b = 0.700" at the muzzle then you want a 5/8"-24 muzzle brake, there isn't enough meat left on the barrel to seat the brake or can. (.700 - .625 = 0.75/2 = 0.0375"

Bartlein #4 = 0.750" adding another 0.025" per side to the formula for threading the 5/8"-24 muzzle brake.

Safety First!:D

My avatar shows the Elk I shot this year with my 300 PRC. Factory ammo 212 ELD-X.
400 yards.... Stone dead! Bullet retrieved weighs in at 140 grains, perfect mushroom.
The rifle is actually chambered in 30 Sherman Magnum- but I didn't have time to develop loads for it because I was working on other clients rifles.
So..... No issues with Hornady stuff, nor have the clients seen any issues.
I have personally chambered 8, 300 PRC's with Bartlein 3b's, another 10 with Proof Research all with brakes at 5/8 x 24 TPI muzzles- no issues. Most of them are shooting suppressed as well.

My avatar shows the Elk I shot this year with my 300 PRC. Factory ammo 212 ELD-X.
400 yards.... Stone dead! Bullet retrieved weighs in at 140 grains, perfect mushroom.
The rifle is actually chambered in 30 Sherman Magnum- but I didn't have time to develop loads for it because I was working on other clients rifles.
I have personally chambered 8, 300 PRC's with Bartlein 3b's, another 10 with Proof Research all with brakes at 5/8 x 24 TPI muzzles- no issues. Most of them are shooting suppressed as well.
Great Bull, congrats!

300 PRC is shootable in a 30 Sherman Mag? Very interesting.

I have a 300 RUM in heavy Palma. I was wanting a 1200 yard gun and a fluted barrel. I was thinking a medium or light Palma. The Bartlein tech suggested something heavier given the fluting. After getting the barrel, I knew it was heavier than I wanted to pack. I took it into Twisted Barrel and asked them to flute it with whatever would remove as much metal as possible. He spiral fluted it and the gun turned out to be a beautiful 1200 yd shooter. However, its still heavier than I like to mountain pack. Thinking about pulling the NXS scope and going with a March to shave some weight and swapping out the McMillan stock and putting on a Manners Carbon Fiber stock I already have. Just some things to consider depending on your intents...

I decided on a 1:8 26" heavy Palma Bartlein for mine. Shooting 225 ELD-M's in it for now. Not light by any means, but not unbearable.

9 twist is optimal, Hornady specified an 8 twist originally in development.
The latest publishing from gunwerks (magazine) has a very good article on making a decision on twist rates. The article did identify that the 300 PRC with 225 ELD m's was best suited with a 9 twist, as well as 212 ELD x's.

Had a Bartlein built for my 300prc - For a hunting rig if you have a brake - #3 would be smallest contour, no brake then a #2B. I got a #3 fluted in a 9.5 to 9.0 gain twist, 5R. The fluting only takes off about 1.5 ounces.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.