Barrels for CZ-527

65WSM

The CZ-527 is the small bolt face "mini Mauser" in their rifle line. I want to build a .17 Fireball on a yet to be purchased rifle.

My question is how much barrel can I hang on the front of this action? If you have one or experience rebarreling, what s the front ring diameter?

I want a heavy barrel to resist heating when prairie dog shooting and allow me to keep my sight picture when fired.

My heaviest barrel is a "NBRSA Heavy Varmint" contour which is .920 at the Muzzle and 1.23 at the breech. Can I use this contour or would a Douglas 1.20 contour breech be necessary because of the front ring?

I have built a couple of them and I would stick with something that is about 1" diameter at the tenon and tapers down to .8" ish at 22-24" at the biggest. The action is small, the action bolts are small and you really don't want to hang a 8# barrel off the tiny action. I have built 17fb and 20 vartarg off of them and they were awesome shooters.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.