Barrels 2020

I have several after market barrels such as bartlein pacnor hart McGowen Douglas criterion shilen and a few more and I think now if you don't produce a good product these days you are not likely to stay in business long because hunters and shooters as we all are demand good products and I have had good and bad in just about all these brands over the years but I will always take after market barrels over factory thanks barrel makers just my two cents worth

Seems most companies are continually improving barrel production processes. I generally stay with Bartlein but recently had Douglas and Hart send me some extremely straight barrels in very light profiles that shoot great and clean up easily. My proof barrels have also been very straight. I only mention because every barrel has some bow in it and can still shoot very accurately but I orient the bow up which can take a little more time/effort; I have had some so straight lately no orientation was required. I much appreciate these manufacturer's efforts.

That's great news. I've heard mainly good things about X-Caliber but also a couple negatives in the past. The most recent information from like 4-5 X-Caliber owners is all good though. With you mentioning them having some new equipment and the recent positive reviews, that is great news.

Idk about them in the past, but I got a new barrel (savage prefit) from them this year. It's the lightest possible contour they offer, 24" long in 1-8" .22-250, and it HAMMERS the 75 eld-m bullets. Consistent bug holes!

I have two Lilja barrels both in 3G (30" 1:8" .27 cal and 27" 1:9" in .30 cal), and I am very pleased with them. Shoots accurately and hardly fouls.
I have a Lilja 3 groove 28" barrel on my 7 mag. Shoots .5 moa at 1000 and a bughole at 100.
Also a Lilja 3 groove 26" on my .300 Weatherby. .25 moa st 400 and a bughole at 100.

I think I've been watching Quigley to much lately , I ordered a 34" barrel straight taper to .800
This is my stump gun when glassing big open face hill sides where the shots start at 400 yards :)

I have been thinking about this for awhile and I want to make a thread discussing barrels and their quality as of now. Barrels like all things go up and down and change over the years. I know of a few barrel manufactures who have stepped their game up in the last couple years and seem to be producing better results. I currently am running Bartlein barrels and have no complaints about them. I however am very curious and I always like to experiment and learn more.

Having said that, if any of you could just give me a brief review or opinion on recent barrels you have used/installed/inspected I would really appreciate it. This is not a bashing thread, but I want it to be sort of a guide and understanding of where barrels stand as of 2020. I'll start off and say from my experiences , I see mainly Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, and Proof barrels. Those all seem to do well, but how about all the other guys?
I used two Shilen barrel blanks to make two rifle barrels in gunsmithing school. The .224 barrel that i chambered in 223 Wylde shoots 3/4 moa and the .338 that I chambered in 338-06 shoots just under 1 moa. Well satisfied with the rifling and polishing in the bore. Both were Match Grade Select barrel blanks.

Jud, I envy you working for John Pierce. Jim Nordhof was extremely helpful in my FT-R rifle 2 years ago. I sent in a Bartlein Palma barrel, and we used a McMillan stock which has been a fabulous weapon. working on getting my sight back from retina detachments last year so I can hopefully start competitions. I have three Bartlein builds, two Kreiger builds, and two Rock River; all shoot extremely well. Best to you.

Has anybody running Pac-Nor had an opportunity to try one of their 2020 barrels? I know their factory was destroyed in a fire and they just got back up and running this year. I'm assuming new machines and tooling so things could have changed. They are about 4 hours away from me and I have been considering taking a drive and having them rebarrel a rifle for me.

Has anybody running Pac-Nor had an opportunity to try one of their 2020 barrels? I know their factory was destroyed in a fire and they just got back up and running this year. I'm assuming new machines and tooling so things could have changed. They are about 4 hours away from me and I have been considering taking a drive and having them rebarrel a rifle for me.
I would do just that if I were 4 hours from them. They have a great reputation.

I've used 3 McGowan Barrels, 7 mag and 2 6.5 CM, with great results, also a Preferred Barrel Blanks Barrel with excellent results on a 300 short mag.
The problem is they're not consistent and they aren't hand lapped, I've had a few McGowans myself, all copper fouled bad and only one shot really consistent.
You can definitely get one that shoots bug holes but its a gamble

I had two Preferred Barrels and they were a nightmare to say the least.
Here's a pile of patches after 20 shots that came out of a barrel that has a mcgowan blank, this was post break in.
The two Preferred Barrels I had did the exact same thing, all three barrels shot poorly.
20201206_101507.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.