"Barreled by Harold" Gun Results are Fantastic!

Hbb6601

Just wanted to follow up and let all of you know Harold is a top notch guy / gunsmith and is fantastic to deal with. He just built me a 7mm RUM on a Stiller Predator action in a Hart LRT stock, Rock Creek 28" fluted barrel along with a Jewell trigger and it shoots incredible. I'm running Nosler 140 gr Ballistic Tips at 3465 and they are basically shooting tiny little bugholes everytime I take it out. I couldn't be happier! I tested 9 different loads and almost all of them shot 5/8" or under. I actually loaded over a 2 grain difference with Retumbo and all three of those loads touched every bullet, you can't beat that! Shooting 8" steel at 400 - 700 yards from hunting positions with a bipod doesn't even seem fair it's so easy. :) I'm going to go after an aoudad in a couple weeks so this should be perfect; this gun should be like a lightning bolt of death.

I included a few pictures to help tell the story.....gun)

If you are looking for a great guy to deal with to biuld you a tack driver of rifle I reccomend Harold, his contact information is below:
Harold's Gunsmithing
Harold Fredd
11392 Flavin Road
Tomah, WI 54660
(608) 343-6637
"Barreled by Harold"
[email protected]

Attachments

• 7MM RUM Group.JPG
    7MM RUM Group.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Picture 7MM RUM.JPG
    Picture 7MM RUM.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_0083.jpg
    DSC_0083.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0074.jpg
    DSC_0074.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 94
Update from this morning - Berger 168 Hunting VLD's are even better (the twist was really set up for 168gr). I tried 4 different loads and seated them all about 35 thousands off and all 4 loads shot less then 3/8" and 2 of them are virtually 1 hole shooting in the .1" category at 3350 fps. This thing is capable of shooting way better then I am. I am sold on both Harold and Rock Creek barrels, not only does it shoot like a dream it has been better to clean then any other gun I have ever owned.

Nice rifle, it is satisfing to get a new build that just shoots and cleans easy. Is your barrel a cut or buttoned? I have heard some great things about Rocks new buttoned barrels. There cut barrels are known to be top notch.

Thanks, this one is cut but I have one of their buttoned barrels on its way from the sounds of it in a 264 Win Mag (again from Harold). I fully expect it to turn into one of my favorite rifles! Should be a blast to shoot with 140 gr bullets:D

Sounds great! I recently also got a 7mm rock creek barrel chambered in .284win (incidentally also screwed into a stiller action) and it is a killer combo!! Never had any barrel clean as quickly or be as tame to tune before as this one.

I'm absolutely sold on rock creek barrels, especially the 7mm ones. A 7 RUM with accuracy like that, the audads are probably already looking way, way, over their shoulders!!

Oliveralan,
That's great to hear you are having the same luck with Rock Creek Barrels, I think I have a new favorite barrel maker!

What twist are you running and what bullet combination?

I'm running a 1-8.7twist with 180gr Berger Hybrids, but also tried 162 A-maxs and they also shot excellent and due to the flatter trajectory at short range and far cheaper price, in whiching to them for all applications inside around 1100yards, where the 180gr hybrid first has a significant advantage in regards to wind drift.

Very nice, thanks for the info Oliveralan! I really like that twist it seems to shoot a very wide variety! I was surprised that it shot 140 grainers so well on mine.

Nice rifle... I also hear good things about Harold Fredd....

Harold has built 4 rifles for me now ...all great shooters. I sold one to a next door neighbor and he loves it ( 243). Working one a 25-06AI he built for me last and waiting for TAX $$$ to get here so I can decide on my next for him to make. Great guy he is for sure

Harold goes a long ways to make sure his customers are taken well care of. I am also shooting a 264 mag that he did a huge favor for me on and it also always shoots .5 MOA or better. Not to mention it is a great looking rifle! I am saving for my next one as well. :Dgun)

I am a true believer in the small shop owners who give each built that special undivided attention which enables them to produce outstanding rifles...

Just as an update the 264 Mag Harold put together (barreled action) just shot a .19" 5 shot group at 100 yards yesterday. It is a hammer with 140 gr's!!! I will post pictures later!!

He is also one of the most genuine individuals I've spoken to in a long time...
He is willing to help you, with nothing to gain but friendship...... A true Gentleman..
It's people like him who not only excel in their trade, but represent the true meaning
of what it is to be a real American...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.