Barrel Thread Question

tmwtrfwler

maybe a dumb question but one that's come up with a project of mine. Follow me here for a second as I describe the project:

My goal is to suppress my Nosler M48 Liberty 300wm. It comes with a 24" magnum contour barrel that has an OD at the muzzle of .65 (confirmed by Nosler).

- Most don't recommend a 1/2x28 thread on a .30 cal can

- Thunderbeast has a great .pdf showing requirements (theirs at least): https://thunderbeastarms.com/tech/thread-specifications

- Per the diagram in the link above the Nosler .65 barrel would also be too small for a 9/16x24 as that requires .662. So I'm left with looking at 1/2x28. The shoulder would be too small if factoring a .003 shoulder as Thunderbeast requires.

- With Thunderbeast being out of the question for my project that led me to Crux Suppresors.

- They design their tolerance for a .002 shoulder and paired with their 1/2x28 break for a .30 cal can this rifle will be within spec on their end. As such I ordered their ARK30 which is 12oz and 7.5".

- Nosler can thread the barrel 1/2x28 for me as they thread all their brakes for 1/2x28 no matter the caliber. *I've got calls into other places like GAP, etc. that thread as well.

So, the question is this; Why can breaks be threaded 1/2x28 but for a suppressor it's not acceptable / recommended by some? Is it the weight of the can?

If it's really a big problem to thread 1/2x28 for a .30 cal can then I could always cut the barrel down an inch or two to get a bigger shoulder but I hate to lose velocity and powder burn. However, for a minute of deer/elk game gun it may not be a huge deal.

Most, but not all suppressors are designed around the AR platform. The AR 15 muzzle thread is 1/2-28. It takes all kinds to make the world go round, and as sure a shootin', someone would screw a suppressor designed for the 5.56mm on to a 7.62mm if it had the same thread. Imagine the result!

Most, but not all suppressors are designed around the AR platform. The AR 15 muzzle thread is 1/2-28. It takes all kinds to make the world go round, and as sure a shootin', someone would screw a suppressor designed for the 5.56mm on to a 7.62mm if it had the same thread. Imagine the result!

But that's not to say that if someone was smart and had a dedicated can for a 300wm that a 1/2x28 thread could function fine....thoughts? I know the manufacturer is certain but I've not heard that from a ton of folks.

I have thought about that but not certain that 12oz will screw it up that bad...but I'm not expert by any means. Nobody at Nosler or with the can manufactures (SiCo, Thunderbeast, GAP, CRux) have had concern about it though. Or at least mentioned it as a concern.....

9/16×24 is .562 not .662 so you could run 9/16×24 on your barrel.

I think the OP is referring to TBAC listing a minimum barrel diameter at .662" to give a good shoulder for the can to seat against.

Fwler
Call TBAC if you are concerned. I think the .650" is close enough to their recommended .662".
If they disagree you could always make a permanently affixed collar of larger diameter.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts