Barrel length questions!

The 22 creedmoor with 88-90 gr bullets running from 3250fps to 3350 fps is a fun round. I run a 25-06 with 80gr bullets @ 3500fps mv. The 22 creedmoor with 88 gr bullets @ 3260 fps mv slaps a gong from 300 on out alot harder than my 25-06 and less felt recoil than a 243 win.

Unless your wife really wants to shoot the 150's I would stick with the 260 Rem. suggested by others above. More pleasant to shoot and less trouble and cost finding components. 130-140 grain bullets in a lighter weight rifle will be a noticeable decrease in recoil from a light 6.5 PRC with the heavy bullets.

We are early in the gathering of components! So In the end if we need to find a non Mag bolt face we will

But a nice lil break will tame a Mag, also the 22-250 and 22LR and 22mag are great practice rounds :)

Ok looks like I am about to start getting together components to build my wife a rifle.
The rifle will be a shorter/lighter build so that it's easy for her to handle, I will list the components I am thinking then ask the questions.

LH M700 Mag bolt face
Proof Carbon 22" sendaro light
Timmney trigger
Will do a Watt bottom metal

Thinking about 6.5 PRC or a 270 WSM

Question I have is what grain bullet should I be thinking about with the shorter barrel, this is not a long range rig max hunting range would be 400 yds

I don't know why the 150ish 6.5s and the 170 270s peak my interest but since it's not a long range rifle and a shorter barrel I may need a lighter bullet weight.

Thanks for your opinions and information.
Browning micro in 270 wsm my daughters gun light weight with 4x14 leupold scope

Be far better off to buy loaded ammo for a 65creedless and let her bang away for a hundred rounds and then reload it....after all the creed is the
"MOST ACCURATE FACTORY RIFLE EVER BUILT"

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
It is inherently accurate! LOL

Don't forget about the good ol 243. Easy to shoot get factory ammo any where.
This would be my suggestion. Then again light, handy rifles really appeal to me, I just never seem to build those......
Build it with a tight twist so that you can shoot the heavies if you want to.

Like a couple of others have suggested, I just built my wife a 6.5x47 Lapua. 22" #3 Rock Creek barrel on a trued R700 action.

I'm working up loads with 130 class bullets and expect speeds in the 2950fps range. Recoil should
be exceptionally light and accuracy is almost a given with this cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts