Barrel length and powder burn rates?

AJ.

You are a silver tongued devil and I don't think It could be explained any better than
you did.

The only thing I can add to your explanation is that in addition to needing one kind of
powder we only need 2 inch barrels.

Don't give up though, the world really is flat !!!.

J E CUSTOM

SU37

I think maybe you missunderstood what you have been told. You were probably told that most cartridges burn "most" of their powder charge in the first two inches of barrel.

All I can say is "Go take a thermodynamics class".

You will find that you cannot possibly make all powders to burn at the same rate (all burning within the first 2" of barrel), generate the same chamber pressure, and yet produce different volumes of gases. In order to maintain higher pressures for longer periods of time, as the volume increases, combustion must continue for longer periods of time. Here's were the Thermo class will come in real handy, take a specific mass of gas and compress it into the volume behind the bullet at 2" down the barrel, then release it. The drop in pressure is directly proportional to the increase in volume. So, if what you're saying is true then I could take any powder and load it to a max chamber pressure of 60Kpsi and I will achieve the exact same velocity for a given projectile in a given length barrel. Which I believe that even you will agree is simply not true!

As for different powders generating different pressure curves, you are right. They do! But, you can't have a different pressure curve when all powders complete combustion in the first two inches. Again "take a Thermodynamics class". The pressure curves are almost identical at the begining, but the difference in velocity is in the fact that higher pressures are maintained further down the barrel with slower powders, ie higher velocity.

Now as for the powder gases reacting with the atmospheric air. Well, you must first understand that all smokeless powders contain (in chemical form, as in within each molecule) enough O2 to achieve complete combustion. You can take a sample of any smokeless powder in an environment divoid of O2 and yet it will still burn to completion. If you don't think this is possible then I suggest that you go take a "Chemistry class". There are numerous substances that do not require an outside source of O2 in order for combustion to occur, nor do they require a flame or spark. At a given temperature and pressure, auto-ignition will occur.

Not to be condesending but you might try educating your self before you try to use what someone, anyone else tells you. Just because a Hodgdon or Ramshot employee (didn't feel like explaning how things really work or didn't know any better), tells you that all powder is burned in the first two inches, doesn't mean that that is how things really are. If you think so, then BOY DO I HAVE A DEAL FOR YOU. See I just happen to have some ocean front property in Arizona, thats got your name writen all over it!

OH! AJ

"A failure to comunicate"

Now that is exactly what we've got here!

Now that's funny ****! HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sorry, It took me a minute to stop laughing!

su37,
I am surprised you are stating your position based on what one person told you over the phone. I would think it would be prudent to keep an open mind and research this, gathering imformation from many sources. Then make up your own mind based on your own research. You have been given alot of valuable imformation in this post from some very experienced shooters that have been there done that. The only way to continue to learn is to be flexible and willing to change as new imformation is learned.

"su37,
I am surprised you are stating your position based on what one person told you over the phone."

Where did I say i took a position based on one phone call?

"keep an open mind and research this"

That's exactly what I'm trying to do! And I do appreciate the other posters viewpoints.
And er, uh, maybe ya 'll need to open your minds. :) lol!

Messenger boy here, don't kill the messenger!

From friend, ballistician, chemistry major and very well known writer. His email answer to me,
one of many from labs which pretty much all said the same.

"They don't all burn up within 2". The peak of the pressure curve will vary, say from 1/2" in front of the chamber in a .45 ACP with 10 grains of a very fast-burning powder to maybe 3-4" in something like a .30-378 with 100+ of very slow powder. But the powder does essentially all burn up just in front of the case. The peak of the pressure curve is where it is all burned up.

....with a couple of caveats. The peak pressure developed must be in the range that the powder's designed for. For instance, IMR4895 works very well in the .45-70 at low pressures for trapdoor Springfield loads, but in that case it's only developing 25,000 psi, not the 50,000 psi IMR4895 is designed to burn at most effectively. But the powder doesn't keep burning on down the bore. Some of it simply doesn't burn, and if you place a sheet on the ground in front of the rifle you'll find unburned powder granules all over the place.

Even at the correct pressure a tiny bit of powder doesn't burn, 1% or less. But again, it simply isn't going to burn. All the powder that WILL burn is burned up just in front of the chamber.

So no, different powders don't ALL burn up within the exact same distance in front of the case. The cartridge, powder, bullet all have an effect, and the point of peak pressure does vary. But the powder doesn't keep burning on down the bore. The gas created keeps expanding.

All of this was proven many years ago by Homer Powley during his work at goverment arsenals."

I think we have a classic mis-communication.

Su37, are you talking about where the physical powder charge is when it is burned?

I've been talking about where the bullet is when the powder is completely burned.

I have no idea where the powder is when it is burned..

AJ

So I guess we've been argueing over 2 seperate things. We can probably both agree on.

1)The powder continues to burn as the bullet progresses down the barrel. This lets slower burning powders contribute completely to heavier bullets in longer barrels.

2)The powder charge actually burns in the cartridge case and a little in front of the cartridge. I expect this is true, but can't prove it nor argue about it.

AJ

I have to say I'll agree with this. lol!

"the powder doesn't keep burning on down the bore. The gas created keeps expanding.

All of this was proven many years ago by Homer Powley during his work at goverment arsenals."

So I take it we are all on the same page here?

"All the powder that WILL burn is burned up just in front of the chamber."

Powder is NOT burning down the whole length of the barrel.

So I take it we are all on the same page here?

"All the powder that WILL burn is burned up just in front of the chamber."

Powder is NOT burning down the whole length of the barrel.

It doesn't really concern me where the powder is when it is burned. It appears to be a well observed and understood FACT that the powder continues to burn as the bullet travels down the barrel. In fact slow burning powder is still under pressure and is still burning until the bullet leaves the barrel. When powder remains unburnt as the bullet leaves the barrel, some of the granules will leave the barrel and can be found in front of the rifle.

If that is the page you are on, then we are ALL on the same page. If you aren't, then I suppose you are on a page of your own.

AJ

"But the powder doesn't keep burning on down the bore. The gas created keeps expanding.

I guess I'm on Homer Powley's page, not yours.

"But the powder doesn't keep burning on down the bore. The gas created keeps expanding.

I guess I'm on Homer Powley's page, not yours.

I've played with Powley's load calculator. I've also looked around trying to find information that supports your quotes. Please point me to information where Mr. Powley says that all the powder is burnt by the time the bullet has moved 2" or so. I was unable to find it in my searches.

I'm having a little difficulty understanding your position. So, please clarify your opinion on this matter. Which of the following statements best describes your stance?

#1 Powder keeps burning as the bullet moves down the barrel.

or

#2 All the powder is burnt by the time the bullet moves 2" or so down the barrel.

Thanks,
AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.