Barrel length 6.5x 284

fatjake

I've asked a few questions here and have taken it all in. I bought some parts.
Including a 1-8 bartlein barrel 6.5 cal

I'm having it chambered to 6.5x284 and only thing I'm not decided on is barrel length.
26"or 24" and why

This is predominately a hunting rig so I'm leaning on 24" but I don't want to cut myself short and hinder the performance.
As I also plan to shoot out to 800-1000yds

This place is a wealth of info and I appreciate all your guys responses

Jake

The only benefit you will gain from 26" over 24" is FPS. If that isn't a huge concern to you, I'd go with the shorter barrel, especially this being a hunting rifle. An extra 2" hanging up over your shoulder makes a lot bigger difference than you would think.

If your version of hunting includes climbing tree stands 24 is as long as you want to go. If its more along the lines of off ground prone, climbing into house blinds 26 will make a difference of 50-75 FPS and that will make a significant difference at 800 and 1000.

Which contour Bartlien have you settled on? On a hunting rig probably about .700 at the muzzle is about as heavy as you need but 800 to 1000 you may want .800.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

If your version of hunting includes climbing tree stands 24 is as long as you want to go. If its more along the lines of off ground prone, climbing into house blinds 26 will make a difference of 50-75 FPS and that will make a significant difference at 800 and 1000.

Which contour Bartlien have you settled on? On a hunting rig probably about .700 at the muzzle is about as heavy as you need but 800 to 1000 you may want .800.

Bob

I was more referring to walking through/under brush and tree's.

It's a 3b contour bartlein
.700 at the muzzle

I doubt I climb in a conventional treestand with this rifle, shooting house maybe. But mostly on the ground stuff

Something to think about with the 6.5-284. If the barrel would ever get shot out, you could have it set back in lieu of purchasing a new barrel. It is rumored, I can't confirm, a rifle can be more accurate after the fact. I went with a 28" barrel for my 6.5-284 build. Check out my threads in my signature below.

Also, if you are going to travel a lot with the rifle. The kind of case and interior dimensions are something to consider. I am a huge Pelican Case fan. Their 1750 case, 200$, has an interior dimension of 50.5". My rifle is 49 5/8s with a brake. Their next rifle case up is the 1770 model and averages about 450$. You only gain 3" and 9 more lbs with the 1770.

It's a 3b contour bartlein
.700 at the muzzle

I doubt I climb in a conventional treestand with this rifle, shooting house maybe. But mostly on the ground stuff

I think I would go with the 26 or longer as long as you're not carrying it for miles to get there and you're serious about 800-1000.

Should be a sweet rig I have been hearing good things about Bartlien.

Bob

I'm going to be the odd man out here. I'd go 25" and throw on a brake. You get a little more velocity but isn't like carrying a fishing rod on your shoulder through the brush.

I'd go even shorter - just taken my 6.5x55 down to 20". A few FPS isn't going to make that much difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.