Barrel Help

MT257

I am thinking it may be time to rebarrel my 257 weatherby. I am currently shooting 115gr partitions. I am wondering do barrel makers make barrels specifically for a certain bullet? Is it more about the twist? If a barrel is made for 115 gr bullets would it shoot 100,110 or 120 too or just 115? Also its only a hunting rifle and would prefer not to have a heavy barrel and probably fluted. Any input is helpful!

Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

Try the link above to help answer the question. From what I understand the longer heavy for caliber bullets will need a faster twist rate than the lighter bullets. But for most factory guns the manfactures uses a twist rate that is good for a range of bullets. I'm pretty sure your 257 has a 1:10 twist rate on it which probably works ok. Now is some bullet makers comes out with a heavy 130 grn bullet for the 257 which would be great:rolleyes: then the gun might need something like a 1:8. So after doing the calculations myself the 115 would work better with a 1:9 twist rate.

IMO you need the standard twist of 1 in 10. If you are serious I would suggest you purchase your own reamer with specifications to your needs.

My friend Dan and I decided to each build a 257 Weatherby around 8 years ago. We had a talk with
Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge specifying a shorter freebore and asking for his input on any other features to shoot the 115 Berger VLD. He made the reamer and boy did it deliver! Dan and I ended up building two more! We ended up with two lightweight rifles with 24'' and 26'' length with #3 profile and two heavier rifles that used 28'' SS #5 fluted barrels.

All barrels were the 3 groove Lilja SS 1 in 10 twist. Since then I sold my lightweight rifle. Wore out the #5 fluted barrel and just two weeks ago installed another SS lilja 3 groove, this time a #3 .

Tim borrowed the reamer to make his 257 and his friend Allen bought my lightweight rifle. Deason put together another 3 groove lilja with a brake for his wife and daughter to use.

This makes 7 rifles that all used that reamer with same 3 groove barrels. Actions were Remingtons with one Ruger and one Winchester model 70 push feed. Bullet jump to lands was .070" to .100" depending on magazine length. ALL rifles shot the 115 VLD under 1/2". A few of the rifles with moly coated 115s are shooting over 3600 fps. All but two rifles use RL-25 with my most recent rifle shooting RL-33 and Deason's using H-1000.

The death toll keeps going up. To date Dan, Tim, Allen and I have taken the following:

18 coues wt, 2 antelope, 6 elk, 4 mule deer and 2 javelina. The combination WORKS!

Buy your own reamer, you won't regret it.

How many barrels on average can a reamer make before it starts to cause an issue with the rifles accuracy/loose chamber/ something incorrect that would cause the rifle to shoot less than something in the .5 range or below. I know its probably some acceptable tollerence and then something that a no go I would think for as the measurements on the reamer.

How many barrels on average can a reamer make before it starts to cause an issue with the rifles accuracy/loose chamber/ something incorrect that would cause the rifle to shoot less than something in the .5 range or below. I know its probably some acceptable tollerence and then something that a no go I would think for as the measurements on the reamer.

The longevity/life of a reamer depends on the reamer brand and how the smith uses and takes care of his reamers.

If good quality reamers are properly used and cared for their life should be a minimum of 15 to 20 chambers. I have never wore out a reamer or had to have it re sharpened and some of them have 10 to 12 chambers on them and they will/can still cut you if you run your hand down the flutes.

If you want to build a wildcat, I highly recommend that you buy the reamer and keep it, that way if you re barrel in the future you have the same reamer and can match the existing chamber.

J E CUSTOM

MT257,

I am wondering do barrel makers make barrels specifically for a certain bullet? Is it more about the twist?
It is partially about the twist rate which is based on the longest bullet you think you might use or the industry standard, which for the .25 cal. is as stated 1:10". Your Nosler 115 gr. Partition will be stable using this 1:10" twist rate.

But the chamber, which is cut into the barrel, has some bearing on this also. That's why the others are pointing you towards your own reamer. You need to pay attention to the leade (freebore) and the length of the throat in order to accommodate the longest bullet of choice when loaded. The magazine length will also set the maximum OAL of the cartridge.

The reality is that if you're using standard .257 Weatherby loads with standard cup/core bullets, a SAAMI spec. reamer will certainly suffice. The traditional Weatherby leade will be longer than you need which is part of their pressure control so you can have the leade and the throat adjusted on a new reamer to your bullet if you so desire.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts