Barrel Heat,,what do you think

JYuke

I decided to brush the dust off an old, but like new, L61-R finnbear chambered in 30-06 which I never did much with. I mounted a Burris FF-2 scope which was an extra scope I had kicking around never out of the box.

Range report, help me decide what to try first...

First shot at 100yards out of the barrel 1 inch low, 2nd and 3rd were 1 inch right but touching

I switched loads and shot a 3 shot group, no real pattern but triangled at about 2 inches.... Let the barrel cool a bit

I adjusted the scope went back 2 the first ammo I used and cut the first 2 shots touching, thats when things went sideways...

By this time pipe was getting some heat in it, I let cool for 5 mins, (not cold, still plenty warm) and way it went 2 inches up, than 1 inch left and than 1 back in the same hole of the first 2.

I tried other ammo and found the same results after lots of heat it moved big time.

I am used to having wondering projectiles with barrel heat, but this sucker really is a mover, 4 inch circles when hot..

I tore the 61 apart and really had a good look, everything was tight I tracked the scope on my bore sighter it seemed fine, checked the rings, and base sako screws to the receiver seemed all good. Even the through bolt for the recoil lug seemed fine

The only thing I think it could be, because the bore is mint, and the crown is perfect, very poor bedding i think. Nothing is free floated on the 61, it touches all the way down and seems tight on the forend..maybe even pressure, hard to tell

Has anyone ever seen this much wondering from heat, I have seen some before but not like this,,,, from 1.5 ich groups cold to over 4inched hot...

Or am I missing something

I decided to brush the dust off an old, but like new, L61-R finnbear chambered in 30-06 which I never did much with. I mounted a Burris FF-2 scope which was an extra scope I had kicking around never out of the box.

Range report, help me decide what to try first...

First shot at 100yards out of the barrel 1 inch low, 2nd and 3rd were 1 inch right but touching

I switched loads and shot a 3 shot group, no real pattern but triangled at about 2 inches.... Let the barrel cool a bit

I adjusted the scope went back 2 the first ammo I used and cut the first 2 shots touching, thats when things went sideways...

By this time pipe was getting some heat in it, I let cool for 5 mins, (not cold, still plenty warm) and way it went 2 inches up, than 1 inch left and than 1 back in the same hole of the first 2.

I tried other ammo and found the same results after lots of heat it moved big time.

I am used to having wondering projectiles with barrel heat, but this sucker really is a mover, 4 inch circles when hot..

I tore the 61 apart and really had a good look, everything was tight I tracked the scope on my bore sighter it seemed fine, checked the rings, and base sako screws to the receiver seemed all good. Even the through bolt for the recoil lug seemed fine

The only thing I think it could be, because the bore is mint, and the crown is perfect, very poor bedding i think. Nothing is free floated on the 61, it touches all the way down and seems tight on the forend..maybe even pressure, hard to tell

Has anyone ever seen this much wondering from heat, I have seen some before but not like this,,,, from 1.5 ich groups cold to over 4inched hot...

Or am I missing something

I think you pretty much answered your own question.

Poor bedding.not floated and tight on the for-end.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.