Barrel Grinding/Sanding Jig

blackbrush

OK, it's show and tell time...

Who has got a barrel grinding jig they use and like?

Where did you purchase it?

If you made it, can you post a few pics and a narration on its design?

Wally

Clymer makes a tool call a 'barrel spinner' (Brownells). I made a similar tool for my own use. It is used along with a minimum 2" wide belt sander (1750rmp motor, don't know how many SFM that is for the belt). Never used one with a grinder, I can only see a disaster waiting to happen if you did. A 1" wide belt sander hasn't the surface area contact needed to 'spin' or the HP, either. Fastest way I know of to polish a barrel. Just use a finger or two to slow the rpm of the barrel so the sanding belt is 'cutting' not just transfering motion to the barrel.

Never used one with a grinder, I can only see a disaster waiting to happen if you did.

Ted,

I agree with your statement. I have a Burr King 760 and they call it a grinder...every time I look at it, it appears to be a belt sander.

But there is a lot of stuff I don't know and this is one of them.

Wally

I was thinking 'revolving stone' type grinder. On a belt sander/grinder you remove the platen (the plate that backs-up the belt), it cuts slower and follows the contour of the barrel that way. I have used it up against 8" spiral sewn polishing wheels, works very well if you want a very high polish. You gotta' be careful with the buffing wheels otherwize you can creat ripples that are quit noticable.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.