Barrel fouling- Sps Tactical

Jack_hrr

Greetings, new poster here. I recently purchased an Rem. 700 sps tactical in 308 and looking from the muzzle end there is a whole lot of fouling on the left side of the bore in about the last 4 to 5 inches of the barrel. (Came this way from remington, rifle was nib) Never seen anything like it. I did over a hundred passes with Hoppes no.9, some nitro solvent, and 50 bmg copper cleaner using copper (with hoppes and nitro) and nylon brushes and patches but it's still there. The patches started out real dirty but have come fairly clean. Any suggestions on other cleaners or what it might be? I can definitely tell it's not tooling marks.

I have shot the rifle and accuracy was acceptable for the extremely flexible hogue stock and lack of bedding. The fouling doesn't appear to be stacking on the bad spot either but I just can't stand seeing it.

Hi Jack,

I'm new here also but have been reading through this forum for some time. Last month I bought NIB the Rem 700 SPS varmint and found that it seemed to be covered in surface rust, not that you could see it but the patches coming out of the barrel had rust on them. After barrel break-in it still seemed dirty no matter what I used to clean it. I bought a box of Tubbs final finish .308 loaded rounds. The inside of the barrel looks to be chrome plated now and cleaning is an easy task. The accuracy before was a little over 1" at 100 yards now it is shooting under 1/2 " at 100 yards.
Hope this helps, other people with more experience will no doubt chime in.

Good Luck
David

Try some Bore Tech Eliminator if you get bored. If you want it out, all out with total peace of mind, order some Wipe-Out and that copper will vanish :)

*A lot of my factory Rem 700s arrived like yours, the worst being the VLS and SPS Varmint, they are also now the most accurate I own after using WipeOut.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.