Barrel Cut For Specific Bullet

timmymic

I saw on snipers hide today they did a review of a barrel for the ruger precision rifle that was cut specifically for the 140 gr amax or the 143 gr eld-x, what makes a barrel cut for a specific bullet? I am rebarreling me savage model 10 into 6.5 creed with a pac-nor barrel 1:8 twist assuming that would be good for the above bullets. Will this work ok or what would have to be done for the barrel to be cut specifically for those bullets?

They're talking about the dimensions of the throat and cutting the throat of the chamber so as to be optimum for the bullet they're using. You can request the same thing from Pac-Nor when they rebarrel your rifle. Make up a dummy round with the bullet seated where you want it to be in the case, send it to them and tell them you want it throated for your round. They can ream the chamber then cut the throat to your desired dimension with a throating reamer.

It can be several things.

1. A specific twist for that bullet. The longer heavier bullets need faster twists normally.

2. A specific throat/freebore to seat a bullet in a certain position in relationship to the lands.

Those can work extremely well or lead to disaster.

Several years ago, guys here built rifles for "one" bullet and when that bullet was no longer available, they had problems.

1-8 will work well for 98% of the available 6.5 bullets.

8" twist would be the minimum to go with. A 7" twist would still work great with the current offerings and with the stuff coming in the future. :D

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.