Barrel chambering training

That's really cool! I'd love to try that someday down the road.

I absolutely loved welding and machining shop classes in high school and especially working with the metal lathe. One day….

That's really cool! I'd love to try that someday down the road.

I absolutely loved welding and machining shop classes in high school and especially working with the metal lathe. One day….

When the Canadian winter rolls in take a break from the cold, come down to TX, I'll be glad to show you how to spin up AR15 barrels... I still have 26 to finish for juniors before this time next year. I won't start on them till I come back from the National Matches at Camp Perry in July. There will be plenty for you to practice on. Barrels come in at 27, we only need 20 inches for service rifles.

Len, speaking of barrel chambering, have you started on your mentoring program?
Nez
Happy Easter!
Hope all is well with you and your family.
Yes we did. We started with machine safety and how the feed works along with the DRO. What tooling to use along with speeds for Threading. One young man is coming back again from out of Nashville for the Holidays, School Break.
We have a younger student that wants to learn everything, Starting with tooling, after that getting to indexing. Just putting in a new 8" Jaw spindle This will enable us the use the Viper Block and the MARS system when chambering. Starting out with cutting a Tennon and then the thread, a lot goes in the calculations from the Action, Bolt and chambering.
Have two other young men that want to learn between school activities. so that is a challenge.
Thank you for your help and sending Drop offs for practice.
Len & Jill

Last edited:
A year or so ago I ran across a site that said you could pay the smith to assist you in chambering your own barrel. I can't find the site anymore. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

TIA
If you can swing it and go to Edgewater Florida to his place it's a great school I went there last year and it's well worth the money

Speedy teaches also.
I'm assuming you are already proficient on a lathe. No sense paying top rates to learn basic operations, turning, facing, threading, parting etc

Speedy teaches also.
I'm assuming you are already proficient on a lathe. No sense paying top rates to learn basic operations, turning, facing, threading, parting etc
This one scared me a bit. I have used an end mill to do a few 80%'ers, I have run a wood lathe to make bowls and spindles, but never run a metal lathe. So I just got off the phone with Bob and none of that is needed. He will teach you to thread, but he does the tenon and then you do the chambering with his assistance. Getting pieces together now for a trip up north. Ye Ha!

This one scared me a bit. I have used an end mill to do a few 80%'ers, I have run a wood lathe to make bowls and spindles, but never run a metal lathe. So I just got off the phone with Bob and none of that is needed. He will teach you to thread, but he does the tenon and then you do the chambering with his assistance. Getting pieces together now for a trip up north. Ye Ha!
I didn't realize you were wanting to just do one and be done, I thought it was a skill you were wanting to actually learn to be able to do.

Hope that I am not stepping on this Post.
When UCzO mentioned that he spoke with Bob, I am thinking that was Bob Pastor the "Viper".
Bob sold his business and then purchased top of the line Late and Mill ($50K+) for just to "TEACH" some shooter/hunters that might want to get into Chambering Barrels. Gives them an idea on how it is done and how to proceed if you want to continue in the "DARK WORLD" of chambering rifles.
Bob basically charges a small fee and gives you hands on experience on how to chamber a barrel. It is not a full blowen Machinist/Gunsmith Course.
We do the same thing for the youth in our area, for free, to give them an idea on how rifles are built.
I was fortunate to have the top shooter in PA show me how barrels were chambered when I was in my early teens over 50 years ago.
I would say that Bob the "Viper" is just passing his knowledge on for free because of his passion for shooting.

When UCzO mentioned that he spoke with Bob, I am thinking that was Bob Pastor the "Viper".
Bob sold his business and then purchased top of the line Late and Mill ($50K+) for just to "TEACH" some shooter/hunters that might want to get into Chambering Barrels. Gives them an idea on how it is done and how to proceed if you want to continue in the "DARK WORLD" of chambering rifles.
Bob basically charges a small fee and gives you hands on experience on how to chamber a barrel. It is not a full blowen Machinist/Gunsmith Course.
We do the same thing for the youth in our area, for free, to give them an idea on how rifles are built.
I was fortunate to have the top shooter in PA show me how barrels were chambered when I was in my early teens over 50 years ago.
I would say that Bob the "Viper" is just passing his knowledge on for free because of his passion for shooting.

One thing I wish the NM M14 builders would have done the same service to the community.

Exactly. First, my Grandfather was a gunsmith and I never got to spend time with him learning his craft, but remember the shop well. So now that I am back into shooting, I would like to make my own barrel, just to say I did it. Second, I don't have the equipment or room at this time to be able to do it myself or I would.
Bob said exactly what Coyote was saying. He learned from a person that was willing to help him and he just wants to give back. I told Bob I might pay him for 4 days and do a couple barrels. He laughed and said he would have to report to IRS. He sounds like a great guy and I am excited about being able to do this. If it goes well, when I retire, I will setup a shop and play.

the "Dark World" world of chambering? Threading and chambering is nothing but a precision machining task, nothing "dark" about it. Some may think it's a "dark art", but that's because we don't make very little in the US, anymore. We (the US) doesn't need machinists like we once did, when we were a manufacturing powerhouse.

Well, I just got back from visiting Bob in MI where we chambered 2 barrels and threaded the muzzle on a third. Great experience and a super guy. I highly recommend the experience. I watched his chambering videos MULTIPLE times and when I got there, all I really had to focus on was speed control. The first barrel was a 33 Nosler and taking .025" bites between cleaning cycles took a LONG time, but Bob stuck right there with me the whole day. We did not break for lunch (my choice) and pushed until 4pm. That finished the chamber end. Went and grabbed a bite to eat and came back and switched to the muzzle end. @ 7:30, I walked away with a completed barrel. We were able to push through the other 2 barrels on the second day so my 5 day vacation plans were finished in 2 days. I am going to try to go back at the end of the summer and see if I can do some of the threading this time. When I finally felt comfortable, we were doing a non-shouldered Savage action and Bob was uncomfortable with that job, so I sure as heck was going to jump in. Thanks for all the help here re-finding the link.

Well, I just got back from visiting Bob in MI where we chambered 2 barrels and threaded the muzzle on a third. Great experience and a super guy. I highly recommend the experience. I watched his chambering videos MULTIPLE times and when I got there, all I really had to focus on was speed control. The first barrel was a 33 Nosler and taking .025" bites between cleaning cycles took a LONG time, but Bob stuck right there with me the whole day. We did not break for lunch (my choice) and pushed until 4pm. That finished the chamber end. Went and grabbed a bite to eat and came back and switched to the muzzle end. @ 7:30, I walked away with a completed barrel. We were able to push through the other 2 barrels on the second day so my 5 day vacation plans were finished in 2 days. I am going to try to go back at the end of the summer and see if I can do some of the threading this time. When I finally felt comfortable, we were doing a non-shouldered Savage action and Bob was uncomfortable with that job, so I sure as heck was going to jump in. Thanks for all the help here re-finding the link.
Bob and Carol are very exceptional people. We are fortunate to have them as friends!!
Len & Jill