Barrel break-in

buster2765

As a reloader when it comes to barrel break-in I have always grabbed whatever bullets I had on hand (pulled or factory seconds), put in a minimal charge shot & cleaned. I have often wondered if I should be breaking in with a bullet and charge that will closer resemble what I will be shooting.

I use to use seconds and blemished bullets to save the "good" bullets, But now I like to chronograph a barrel as I am breaking it in to see the changes as the break in proceeds and tel me when it is broken In. And often it also tells me if the barrel likes a certain bullet or not, So I now start with a middle pressure load with the powder and bullet I would like to use, and actually end up shooting far less rounds before I find the best load.

Doing it this way, it is like a three in one method. Break in, velocity check and component check at the same time.

If you don't have a chronograph, you can use any bullet you have and end up with a good break in and go from there.

Just the way I like to do break in.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.