small diameter barrel muzzle break

BUSTINDOGS

I have a remington sps dm in 30 06 then gun is stock other than I have adjusted the factory trigger down to 3 pounds. I have been doing some load work up with 168 bergers and the load is very accurate. To help get better accuracy I am going to pillar bed the gun and then glass bed the factory stock. Now to my main question this rifle has the pencil profile barrel and I want to instal a muzzle break. How thin of a wall thickness can I get away with hear? I am a machinist and plan to do the work myself and make my own break as well. My plan as of now is to skim cut the barrel and make a thread at whatever that diameter comes out to be then make a vais style break where it tapers to the barrel diameter. Has anyone installed a break on a pencil profile barrel before?

I use the 1/2-28 CSR 3 port .750" round brakes on the really thin barrels. We taper the.750" back to blend into the barrel contour. By building your own it can be any style if you want. Ross Schuler sells a Holland QD style cheaper than you can make one in house for.

I despise the Vias style brakes due to the amount of dirt they shovel into my optics and down my neck.

Here is a flush fit one we built in house for a custom 17 Hornet build.

This comes up all the time and I have a recommended minimum wall thickness based on the bore diameter that matches the minimum wall thickness under barrel flutes based on the barrel makers
minimum.

www.jecustom.com - FAQ's

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

I built a couple 4 port .750" brakes with .17 cal exit holes.

Most standard SPS Remington's have a muzzle diameter of around .660" which is big enough for a 9/16x24 thread. If it's a mountain rifle profile you'll have to do 1/2x28 which pushes the limits on a .30 caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.