Barrel break in accuracy

Don't be too disappointed,I had similar problem with a 223,the bullet/powder/primer combo is important,it took me 3 month to find the right one.Mine was 22.5gns RE10, 60gnVmax,and federal gold medal primers.It will put 5 shots through the same hole at 100mtrs repeatably especially when the temp is 60F. so stick with it and take your time

Don't be too disappointed,I had similar problem with a 223,the bullet/powder/primer combo is important,it took me 3 month to find the right one.Mine was 22.5gns RE10, 60gnVmax,and federal gold medal primers.It will put 5 shots through the same hole at 100mtrs repeatably especially when the temp is 60F. so stick with it and take your time
Oh yeah. I'll get there. Heck, I got a thousand bucks in the barrel and Gunsmithing. It has to shoot. LOL

When I bought this rifle new, it drove me crazy. I can't remember how many bullet/powder combinations I tried, and it just aggravated me. I let it set for a couple of months, then was ready to go again. I spent about 5 hours one day just cleaning it. I'd use Butch's Bore shine, then Montana Extreme. I alternated between the 2 for 3 cycles each, then said ok, if this dang thing won't shoot this time, I'll just rebarrel it. Well, it shot like a house afire. 3 remington core-lokts into a half inch about every time, but it wouldn't shoot 116 grain hammers worth a hoot, and that's what I wanted to shoot, so I rebarreled it with an 8 twist, as opposed to the 10 twist it had, so that's where I'm at. It'll shoot at some point. I just have to get the combo right. But I would've preferred to be able to seat the hammers a bit longer.
I use J-B Bore Paste for a complete clean. Left photo is about as clean as you can get on my .300Wby MkV. Right is the edge of rifling of the muzzle from the inside.

Attachments

• clean .300Wby.jpg
    clean .300Wby.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 56
  • clean muzzle .300Wby.jpg
    clean muzzle .300Wby.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 52
So, I just got my rifle back from the gunsmith where I had a new Hart barrel put on, and some work done to the receiver. Caliber is 25-06. I'm just a little disappointed in the fact that with 116 grain hammers, I can only get to 3.050 OAL before I'm into the lands, but not sure I'm concerned with that yet. First 20 rounds thru the barrel have yielded pretty mediocre results as far as accuracy, so I guess my question is this. Would it be normal for a rifle to shoot more accurately after say, a hundred rounds are put through it, or not so much. I haven't done any load work-up yet. I figure I need to get some rounds thru it before I go there, but just curious as to what you really good shooters' opinions are as to accuracy and a new barrel.
A new barrel needs a break in such as; 1st 10 shots, clean after each shot. 2nd 10 shots, clean after every 3 shots, 3rd 10 shots clean after each 5 shots.
It should be ready then for accuracy testing.

So, I just got my rifle back from the gunsmith where I had a new Hart barrel put on, and some work done to the receiver. Caliber is 25-06. I'm just a little disappointed in the fact that with 116 grain hammers, I can only get to 3.050 OAL before I'm into the lands, but not sure I'm concerned with that yet. First 20 rounds thru the barrel have yielded pretty mediocre results as far as accuracy, so I guess my question is this. Would it be normal for a rifle to shoot more accurately after say, a hundred rounds are put through it, or not so much. I haven't done any load work-up yet. I figure I need to get some rounds thru it before I go there, but just curious as to what you really good shooters' opinions are as to accuracy and a new barrel.
I had a shilen match frozen barrel installed on my 300 wsm about 15 years ago. After break in and attempted tuning, the best group I could print was 1 1/4". I took it back for an inspection that turned up nothing wrong. After about 150 rounds downrange, I noticed a slight improvement - 1" groups. By the time I got to 250 rounds, the 5 shot groups became 1/2" and have stayed there since. No changes to my loads were made at all. I have no explanation other than maybe a flaw existed near the muzzle that needed an extended break in. That said, Hart makes exceptional barrels and perhaps it just needs a little load tuning to help it along. I do know that a perfectly concentric barrel and chamber will make load development a lot simpler.

In my experiences a barrel which likes the bullet will shoot pretty accurate at the onset and increase accuracy a bit after 10-40 rounds. If your accuracy with that bullet is pretty bad, I would try different loads/bullets. This has just been my experience.
I have gotten lucky with several new rifles that liked the first handloads I fed them and they achieved .5" groups or better with the first shots after getting zeroed... so in the first 20 rounds.
What kind of mediocre accuracy are you talking?
I imagine some of the serious target shooters will come along shortly and have some input. I shoot and handload a good bit, but am not a professional target shooter.
Personally I put cheap rounds through my new barrel with 1-3 rounds clean, 1-3 rounds, clean, for 8-10 cycles then clean real well before working up a load. Some say not necessary but I have had great results.

The 116 Hammers I believe have a recommended twist of 1-9". You didn't say what twist your barrel was, but if it is a 1-10" which is the most common in .257, they may be only marginally stable in your new barrel. I'd drop down to the 98 Shock Hammer or 92 Hammer Hunter before I'd make any guess as to the potential accuracy of the barrel. I usually start .020 or .030 of the lands with the hammers and seldom have needed any seating adjustment.

I would change the bullet and the load first. Try a match bullet in the 100 grain range and another one at 120 or so. Don't worry so much at first about if it's the bullet you want to shoot. You are evaluating the barrel. 3 MOA is awful for a new barrel. Hope it's just the bullet/load combo. The barrel often shoots well right from the start or it doesn't ever shoot well.

I've written this before, but truth doesn't change. As boy about 10 my dad started reloading and I started with him. That was 60+ years ago. An old gent we met at the range told us when you buy. New rifle (add anew barrel), get o box or two of several different manufacturers bullet/weights. Fin out which work best and work from there. You might like the look of the bumper on a new Cady, but it won't work on a VW. You always go at things bassackwards if you pick the bullet/weight first, and then chase your tail trying to force it to work. Spend a few bucks off the bat and make your search much easier and better in the long run. A bullet that Loves a barrel is always better than trying to get a match for your ugly sister.

The 116 Hammers I believe have a recommended twist of 1-9". You didn't say what twist your barrel was, but if it is a 1-10" which is the most common in .257, they may be only marginally stable in your new barrel. I'd drop down to the 98 Shock Hammer or 92 Hammer Hunter before I'd make any guess as to the potential accuracy of the barrel. I usually start .020 or .030 of the lands with the hammers and seldom have needed any seating adjustment.
The twist is an 8 twist. I might try different brass and different charge of Rel 26 when I get home from work tonight. My factory barrel was a 10 twist, and there was no marginal about that. A couple of the 116 hammers hit the target sideways.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. I'll get there. Heck, I got a thousand bucks in the barrel and Gunsmithing. It has to shoot. LOL
Yeah, but it may never shoot that bullet you like. My father had a 7mm STW that would simply not shoot the Berger 180 VLD Hunting. He finally gave up and used a different bullet that shot around 1/2 MOA. Hart is correct on the "just go shoot it". I did this with my 7mm LRM and still shoots great. What you should notice is a velocity speed up around 200 rounds. Usually 40-55fps. If you really like mono bullets try the Barnes LRX 101gr boattail.

It's funny in a way that the Core-lokts were what it wanted. My wife's Rem 700 .243 absolutely loves Core-lokts. Like .35" loves. I couldn't get a Berger, Barnes or Nosler to shoot out of it better than 1.2"! At the distances she shoots and for deer or smaller, we conceded and stuck with the CLs. She has decided she wants an elk now, so she will be shooting a .280 and Accubonds this season!
I've never heard of any CL shooting horrible My 6 creed loves them.

Yeah, but it may never shoot that bullet you like. My father had a 7mm STW that would simply not shoot the Berger 180 VLD Hunting. He finally gave up and used a different bullet that shot around 1/2 MOA. Hart is correct on the "just go shoot it". I did this with my 7mm LRM and still shoots great. What you should notice is a velocity speed up around 200 rounds. Usually 40-55fps. If you really like mono bullets try the Barnes LRX 101gr boattail.
My 2nd choice bullet is the REM 120 grain psp core-lokt mostly because I have about 1200 of them, and they performed excellent last year on 2 deer in Michigan. After that, not sure. I have a couple hundred Hornady 110 grain inter bonds that shot terrible thru the factory barrel, but that barrel is long gone, so I might try it here.