Barnes XLC for elk

amtmn

What are the thoughts on using 180 gr XLC in .308 cal for elk?

I have a tack driving .308 that I'd like to use for elk season this year. I know that .308 isn't the best elk caliber. However, what are the thoughts on working up a strong XLC load?

Also what are your thoughts on triple shock? Do these penetrate better than the reg Barnes bullets, or are they more of an expander?

The .308 with a 180 Barnes X bullet is an excellent elk combination. You would be fine with the 165 or 168 as well.
Out to 350 yards you should be good to go.
The Triple Shocks are supposed to have the same terminal performance as the X and XLC.
In my rifles the Triple Shocks are much more accurate than the other versions of the X bullet.

Hello, I'm new here andhave to add something. I am trying to load some 300WM for my brother's friend in Utah for the Elk hunt. He also wants the XLCs but for some reason they are not easy to find and he thinks that 180gr bullets just aren't enough *** to do a good kill. That just craks me up. My question is just how far is this guy shooting from?

If you all can do it with a 308 then what is this guys problem.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.