Barnes TTSX vs Berger VLD

Very nice bull elk taken at 925 yards with .140gr Berger off 6.5x284 ...

That's an excellent shot!

Unbelievable how well that 140 gr. bullet can do that so far away. I've thought many times about it and my final conclusion is A) Great shot placement B) Very high BC and C) Extremely high sectional density for a bullet that small.

So, A+B+C= dead elk at 925 yards. :D

Broz, I have to agree with you, although from the other side of the coin. I'm a Barnes guy, why? Because I have never had a reason to switch, as you said, as long as I do my part, the bullet does it's part. I believe we all have seen/heard the "perfect placement"/no animal stories, Just take it with a grain of salt & head for the Advil :D

So many bullets.... so little time....

Last edited:
That's an excellent shot!

Unbelievable how well that 140 gr. bullet can do that so far away. I've thought many times about it and my final conclusion is A) Great shot placement B) Very high BC and C) Extremely high sectional density for a bullet that small.

So, A+B+C= dead elk at 925 yards. :D

L:)L!

I shoot both. 190gr Burgers in my 300 Weatherby, accurate like stink 3moa at 400 measured meters all day long. In my 338/378 Weatherby Mag I shoot TTSX 225gr and I am getting .435MOA at 100 meters 4 shot group. 300gr Burgers shoot about .75MOA in this rifle. My advice to you is shoot what every your weapon shoots the best. They are both exceptional performing bullets and they will do the job for sure. We often times get so hung up on bullets, powder, accuracy we tend to forget what our goal is, and that is to put that once in a lifetime 6point bull elk on the ground. Most any production rifle sold on the market these days will shoot far better than the average shooter can shoot and sometimes even better than a professional can shoot.
If you can hit a 10 inch pie plate at 100 yards off hand yur good to go with just about any hunting bullet on the market.
Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

ok so i'm new to this forum but we have some real world results on elk too there is a damage hunt here were i live and we shot a couple of elk to see the differance. one with a 140berger Vld and one with a 140 barnes lrx. one went down at 574yds(vld) and the other at 652yds(lrx) across a big pivot field. one friend shot one with my 7mm 300wby and the other was shot with the match to my gun that next morning. both dropped in there tracks with shoulder shots we had 20 lbs of waste on the lrx and a pass though. the berger we lost most of both shoulders from blood shot, if this is standard i'd pick the one were i get more meat.

ok so i'm new to this forum but we have some real world results on elk too there is a damage hunt here were i live and we shot a couple of elk to see the differance. one with a 140berger Vld and one with a 140 barnes lrx. one went down at 574yds(vld) and the other at 652yds(lrx) across a big pivot field. one friend shot one with my 7mm 300wby and the other was shot with the match to my gun that next morning. both dropped in there tracks with shoulder shots we had 20 lbs of waste on the lrx and a pass though. the berger we lost most of both shoulders from blood shot, if this is standard i'd pick the one where i get more meat.

Real world results alway help... but there always going to be lost meat with a shoulder shot... but BOTH shoulders? dang...

Just out of curiousity, what is the BC on the LRX?

barnes advertises .486 at 300 yards and 3000fps at 0. we have done some testing at ranges and it shoots about as flat as .550 should shoot. we worked up a load @ 3700 in my 7mm300wby and need less to say it shoots real flat with a 350 sight in. but the berger shoots the same speeds out of my friends gun and has a .510 at 3000fps.

Now THAT should put a smile on your face! Good info on the BC, my hunting partner is using the 140 MRX, which is of course discontinued... maybe i'll recommend the LRX, sure worth a try.

i have been working with ty to try and get better info out by themso there bc's match what everyone else uses. the mrx has been replaced by the lrx. we have shot this bullet with good results all the way to 1600 yds out of a 7mm. make sure he shots it out to what ever range he is going to use it. we found some variances as we moved out passed 600yds.

I have only shot deer with the Barnes, but am hooked. I took a doe broadside with my Model Seven 18"bbl in .308 using Barnes 168gr XLC BTHP loaded at 2400 fps. It opened up upon impact. Put a 2" hole through both lungs and the heart, then exited wit a 1/2" hole. She ran 50yds painting the trees with blood, and dropped over. I know a deer is much smaller, but I would bet on it opening up just fine.

i have been working with ty to try and get better info out by themso there bc's match what everyone else uses. the mrx has been replaced by the lrx. we have shot this bullet with good results all the way to 1600 yds out of a 7mm. make sure he shots it out to what ever range he is going to use it. we found some variances as we moved out passed 600yds.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of variance were you finding? I'd never allow my partners to take shots at animal (big game) @ ranges further than they have practiced, but I do appreciate your warning.

Thanks again!

they were flatter then are bc down load had showed on the cumputer between 650 and800 which changed everything on outof course. we have trapped some of the ttsx in gellitin and a scapula. at 500 and 800 and they retain almost all there weight. if the lrx is the same i think they will work great.gun)

id go with barnes on elk u can shoot them from any shot angle and where i hunt elk theres the pestering grizzly that wants to come and take your kill i dont know but i dont know but im not gona trust a vld to put a charging grizzly down.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.