Barnes triple shock disappointment

to sum up barnes bullets....very simple...I have not read all the previous pages....I have a great deal of experience with them...there are many other bullets better for any deer hunting...dangerous game animals they are among the best..just fact..good hunting to all.

I have never had a barnes bullet fail on me, and I've found them to be every bit as accurate as BTs and ABs. And in terms of performance I'd trust them over an accubond any day of the week. BTs I don't even use for hunting anymore - unless I'm overlooking open fields.

So many variables but most often the bullet is the first to be condemned. The solid coopers are known for better performance at distances greater that 200 yards. Shooting game behind the should with such bullets at close range will often result in a bullet that does not open up. You have pretty much just shot a laser through 2 lungs that will take a bit longer for the animal to expire. The solid coopers really like some dense tissue and bone to open that bad boy up. I have killed an handful of whitetails mostly exceeding 200 yards with Barnes X Triple shocks with outstanding results. ..... High shoulder is devastating!:)

I have had the barnes fail in two different rifles. Both fairly close shots. Secondly I highly recommend the barnes in a muzzle loader. They are amazing game killers in a muzzy. Not soo good of luck with rifles on deer and elk.

These Barnes bullets appear to be the most over rated bullets for their promised performance. I know of and have witnessed very dismal performance on the expansion of these so called big game bullets on our deer here in Australia.
I have three mates who have used these supposed "premium" hunting bullets on Sambar deer (3rd largest deer in the world after Moose and Elk/Wapiti) that max at around 700 pounds. Their shots at Sambar stags were actually filmed as the deer was shot at various ranges from around 80 metres, 210 metres and 370 metres.
In all 3 cases all deer were shot with at least three bullets and needed to be put down as they were either running or kicking. This was not attributed to poor shooting but due to dismal performance and lacklustre expansion of these so called "killer petals" that Barnes bulletts advertises.
I will not talk about the other five stags that ran off wounded and were never found.
These bullets simply perform dismally on the deer we have over here despite all of Barnes' claims.
I for one will never buy these again and nor will I ever recommend them to anyone...not even my worst enemies. FULLSTOP.
Sorry but that is the truth and also my honest opinion of them.
What do you use on Sambar now?

I shot a very large whitetail buck at 30 yds with a 7mm ttsx. Hit an inch behind the shoulder and exited the far shoulder, breaking it. He ran 300 yards and disappeared behind a cluster of trees. I took my pack and gear up the hill and dumped it to where I could drive my truck. Grabbed my drag and field dressing kit and head down to the deer.
When I reached him, I set my gun against a tree and grabbed his antlers. That buck exploded on me, knocking me over and he took off! I ended up shooting him again and recovering him. I have killed truckloads of deer and never had that type of performance from any ammo... not even cheap OTC stuff. The bullet had gone throught the heart and left a pencil hole, then broke the off shoulder. There was very little tissue damage. I quit using ttsx bullets that day. They did shoot awesome groups though.

I shot a very large whitetail buck at 30 yds with a 7mm ttsx. Hit an inch behind the shoulder and exited the far shoulder, breaking it. He ran 300 yards and disappeared behind a cluster of trees. I took my pack and gear up the hill and dumped it to where I could drive my truck. Grabbed my drag and field dressing kit and head down to the deer.
When I reached him, I set my gun against a tree and grabbed his antlers. That buck exploded on me, knocking me over and he took off! I ended up shooting him again and recovering him. I have killed truckloads of deer and never had that type of performance from any ammo... not even cheap OTC stuff. The bullet had gone throught the heart and left a pencil hole, then broke the off shoulder. There was very little tissue damage. I quit using ttsx bullets that day. They did shoot awesome groups though.

That sounds like at deer that just wasn't ready to give up the ghost...a heart shot, broken shoulder, maybe just wasn't ready to die. Unfortunately we will never know. Can't insert another quarter and shoot the same animal exactly the same again with a different bullet.

I say this with no experience with the Barnes on game, but they do shoot well.

Barnes bullets must be self-healing. The medical community should investigate any objects that can be sent thru a heart with no ill affect. Maybe they can be used to remove plaque deposits and thus improve heart health. On an outpatient basis...

I don't believe anybody stated animals that were shot with any projectile resulted in no ill affect. Obviously, any animal will die or suffer disability if a bullet goes through their mid section. I went to school with a guy that was shot in the heart and he is still alive today... 40 years later. It was probably a Barnes too. ;-)

Yep. Because of their self-healing qualities.
Law enforcement should use them fie non-lethal crowd control.
You have knowledge of the heart that should be understood by all cardiologist.

Unlike yourself, no he isn't. He was shot in the heart by his best friend who was horsing around with an
"unloaded rifle". I also had a friend in the Army that was shot through the bicep. The bullet entering his ribcage on the right side, then traveled completely through his chest cavity exiting under his left arm... and it was a 12 gauge slug. Ponder that one Mr. forensics expert.
Also... bullets cannot be "self-healing" as they are not living tissue. Inanimate objects don't consist of cells, nor do they heal. Google it if this confuses you.

Did a 12 gauge slug penetrate the heart dead center, or did you just change the context of our communication?
You're too smart for me. After all you know how to Google self-healing Barnes bullets, and the difference between animate and inanimate.
How many more hole thru the heart stories can you share, for purposes of informing about the lethality of various brands of bullets dead-centered thru the heart? Because the greater the number, the lesser your credibility.

Didn't say the 12 ga.slug penetrated the heart, you just made the assumption. And yes. I am too smart for you... thus my communication with you is finished. My time is much more important than to waste it on such unfounded childishness.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.