BARNES - Pioneers of the first all-copper bullet

When I was in high school I remember the guys who could afford them used them we all thought they were some sort of magic bullet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
right on. I am a happy customer. Use the Vor-Tx 300 WM in 165 for many years now. Have shot antelope deer and elk and they work.

I drove by Barnes last fall and tried to stop in but they don't appear to let anybody visit. I'm sure with components shortages they had to do that

Wow @RockyMtnUT, there's a trip down memory lane. I still have 2-3 boxes of the 6.5mm 140 XLC's on the shelf!

I've killed a LOT of game with Barnes. A few with with the original X bullet and a bunch with the TSX & TTSX. They aren't as cool as Cutting Edge or as fanboi as Hammer; but they kill just fine.

t

I remember trying out those xlc coated bullets, my rifle didn't like them so I stuck to the tsx
When I was in high school I remember the guys who could afford them used them we all thought they were some sort of magic bullet
yup, they were expensive.
702D1018-DDC7-4886-9D67-406C98BF485E.jpeg

Have been using barnes since the x first came out still use ttsx lrx just like any bullet either they shoot good fair or not so put down every animal as intended.

I give Barnes a lot of credit for starting the copper bullet revolution. But I've got to admit that their earlier bullets didn't impress me much. They created high pressure, resulted in heavy bore fouling and lung hit deer often had no reaction to the shot. They walked off like they weren't hit and then fell over dead.

As they improved the designs, much better results were observed, and I still use a few of the TTSX bullets today. In particular, I like their 300TTSX in my 458SOCOM and the little 130gr .308 bullet is just amazing in my .308Win.

However, I've was bitten by the Hammer bug a few years ago and use mostly Hammers for my hunting lately.

I was introduced to them in the early '90's by the friend that built my rifle. He, Randy Brooks and another went on a hunt with a pile of doe/fawn permits. If I recall, they were using a 6 MM Rem. with the original X Bullet of around 80 grains. They killed over 20 deer…..recovering only one bullet.

I gave them a try, and made my first Barnes kill that fall. I shot a rag horn bull, penetrating end to end, actually making 3 hide penetrations, recovering the bullet under the hide the hide of the upper fore leg. The covered bullet had lost one petal, and weighed 257 grains of it's original weight of 270 grains.

Since this kill…..I've never considered anything except a Barnes. I've only changed bullets as Barnes improved their technology. This summer I will be developing a load with the "new to me" 270 grain LRX's.

I had the privilege of meeting Randy and Coni at their facility on several occasions in American Fork……real good folks! memtb

Last edited: