Which Copper Bullet?

coues24a

I'm thinking of reloading some all copper bullets. I was wondering if anyone has experience good or bad with them? They are Barnes, E-Tip and GMX. I'm also looking at the Bergers, I know they are not all copper. I will be using them for Deer and Antelope.

What Calibre?
You might also consider GS Custom, they are solid copper with drive bands and moly coating.

Here is a link to theit hunting bullet, the HV model:

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - HV Bullets

And a picture of the SP match bullet also by GS Custom

Cheers,

Master Diver

338232SP2.jpg

here are a few pics. of the bullet I recovered from my whitetail this year . it is a Barnes TSX , 160 gr , 7mm .. I weighed the bullet it weighs - 138.5 . a new one is 159.8 . to measure the expansion I put my calipers on the mushroom and twisted the bullet to get it's widest point . it measures .423 .I'm not impressed with it .did the bullet fail ? I don't know . did the bullet kill the animal , yes . I guess I was expecting more . Jim

P1120192.jpg

P1120190.jpg

P1120191.jpg

That bullet is perfect. It does not require double caliber mushroom to have excellent terminal performance. Small square front will have more permanent damage than a round double caliber mushroom.

My favorite is the GS Custom hv. I used the E-tip this last year, no complaints.

JMO,

Steve

Here's a good friend of mine's wife. CO mulie, custom 270 I gave them, 130 TSX.
Brittbuck3.jpg

My 2008 TX pronghorn. 200 yards, 270 Win, 110 TTSX.
TXantelope2008.jpg

My 2008 BC black bear. 30.06, 168 TTSX.
BCbear2.jpg

My bro with his doe from SC. 270, 110 TSX, can't remember distance. Next pic after this one is the exit hole.
SCdeerwith110tsx.jpg

Exit hole:
270110TSXexithole.jpg

My friend's dad. CO mulie same custom 270 with 130 TSX, about 100 yards:
Blackbuck2.jpg

I could post about 40 other pictures of my game animals, my brother's, several hunting buddies, etc., all of which were killed with TSX or TTSX bullets but you get the picture.

I think I'm going to try the GMX. I'm gonna use the 140gr for my 7RM and the 150gr 300WSM. They should be fine for they Coues Deer I hunt here. Plus I can shoot more for almost half the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts