Barnes 168 LRX 7mm Rem Mag

woolecox

Attached to this post is the Barnes factory load data for the 168 LRX in 7mm Remington Magnum. My first trip to the range produced sub MOA 5 shot groups. Not quite as good as the Berger's I had been hunting with but I think I will improve this group with a little tweaking. Also, I was shooting off sand bags (no Led Sled) and sighting in a new scope. By the time I got to the final group, I was a little beat up.

I am working up this load for upcoming Elk, Moose, Bear, and Caribou (mixed in with Wolf and Lion if the opportunity presents) hunts that I have coming up in the next two years. The accuracy is there, and if these perform as well as the TSX bullets do, I think we have a winner.

I am not a hunter that tries to see how far away I can get from an animal. I will try to get as close as possible and then look for a good heart/double lung punch. 400 yards is about max for me. Even then, I would have to be benched up pretty well with a good rest and good wind dope. But that is just me.

Here is what I used:

- Federal Premium Brass (fully worked & neck turned)
- Forster Bushing Bump Neck sizer dies (.003" of neck squeeze)
- 66.0 grains of H1000
- Federal Match GM215M primer
- 168 LRX seated with .023" jump

Results:

- .90" five shot groups at 100 yards
- 2840 fps average velocity

Firearm:

- Rem 700 action (trued)
- Shilen Select Match Grade 26" barrel, #5 contour, 1:9 twist
- McMillan Hunter stock, Al pillars and bedded
- Badger Ordnance bottom metal
- Jewel trigger, 1#
- Swarovski Z5, 3.5x18x44, with 4W reticule

Hope this helps you 7mm guys.

Attachments

• 7mm Remington Magnum (1).pdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 427
Definitely want to see game results!

Will do Derek! Going on another Kansas white tail hunt next month (see attached file from last year). Hunting white tail in Kansas with a 7mm Rem Mag is almost cheating.

Northern Idaho elk hunt booked for 2013. Working on an Alaska Moose, Black Bear, Wolf for 2014. So, it may be a while. In the mean time, I guess I will entertain myself with Texas white tail and hogs! Cant wait!

Cheers,
Woolly

Attachments

• DSCF3007.jpg
    DSCF3007.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 229
Thanks for the info! Last I contacted Barnes, they didn't have any info done yet. I have some 168 LRX's loaded in my 7mm STW. I have a deer tag that ends this Sunday, so hopefully I can post some results pics!
I also bought a box of the 145 LRX for the 7mag, so now I have a really good place to start on that gun.

Thanks for the info! Last I contacted Barnes, they didn't have any info done yet. I have some 168 LRX's loaded in my 7mm STW. I have a deer tag that ends this Sunday, so hopefully I can post some results pics!
I also bought a box of the 145 LRX for the 7mag, so now I have a really good place to start on that gun.

Black sheep, I just bought a box of 145's myself. I am going to try a few in one of my STW's, and see what happens. I'm sure they will shoot, I just want to know what happens when they hit!!!!! I have shot bullets before that shoot great, but don't perform ON " animated" targets. I have a high level of confidence in these Barnes bullets. Let me know how the 168's perform. If these things perform as good as they shoot, the deer population is in trouble.
I have two .30 cal rifles, that love them, and four 7mm rifles that love them. Time is growing short, and that is a good thing. ( deer season is exactly one month away).

Will do Derek! Going on another Kansas white tail hunt next month (see attached file from last year). Hunting white tail in Kansas with a 7mm Rem Mag is almost cheating.

Northern Idaho elk hunt booked for 2013. Working on an Alaska Moose, Black Bear, Wolf for 2014. So, it may be a while. In the mean time, I guess I will entertain myself with Texas white tail and hogs! Cant wait!

Cheers,
Woolly

" Nice Rack", and a nice looking BDL too! Nice job.

Hey Guy's! Thanks for the info on the LRX's. Guess I've got to do a work up on some after hunting season. Right now with hunting season on us,I've got two loads worked up for my 7mags. One is with the 168 Bergers, the others are 160 Sierra Game Kings. I haven't really heard of the LRX'S until now, but will try some. If it helps the load I'm using for both Bergers an Game Kings are
71grn
H-1000
Fed 215 primer
WW brass
Rifles are Remington mod 700,26"barrel's. Hope this helps!

DT

I have, twice!! First answer was it will be a while. Here is the latest answer
from Sept. 17th.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sorry, we are struggling with the proofing stage and just can't seem to get rolling. Please feel free to try back.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks, Ty[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ty Herring [/FONT][FONT=&quot]| Consumer Service - Lead Tech[/FONT]

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.