Anyone using the Barnes 7mm 145-gr LRX in a 7mm Rem Mag? ...

BigMedicine

I will be starting load development for bullet/caliber combo for my 700. Any suggestions on powder, primer C.O.A.L would be appreciated. I plan on using this on whitetail or perhaps a black bear out to 500 yrds. I thank you in advance as I look forward to your comments.

Look at the Barnes loading data first. I have tried it in a 280AI using IMR4350 and RE23. RE23 was very accurate, IMR 4350 was good. I'm sure there are many other choices you may have for powder on hand (slower burn).
Rate of twist will be key to stabilizing this bullet. 8.4 twist in 280AI was plenty. The Barnes 168LRX in my 7RM with 8.5 twist was no good, despite what Barnes says. Those keyholed terribly.
Picture shows speeds I ran with Re23 powder 145LRX, @200 yards. The 7RM speeds will get here easily.

Attachments

• 20200427_124435.jpg
    20200427_124435.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 362
Had great success with this bullet in my 7mm Weatherby mag with Norma MRP. 3327 ft/sec with .75 MOA

Look at the Barnes loading data first. I have tried it in a 280AI using IMR4350 and RE23. RE23 was very accurate, IMR 4350 was good. I'm sure there are many other choices you may have for powder on hand (slower burn).
Rate of twist will be key to stabilizing this bullet. 8.4 twist in 280AI was plenty. The Barnes 168LRX in my 7RM with 8.5 twist was no good, despite what Barnes says. Those keyholed terribly.
Picture shows speeds I ran with Re23 powder 145LRX, @200 yards. The 7RM speeds will get here easily.

Nice group! Thinking about buying a 280 AI, just not sure I need it.

Nice group! Thinking about buying a 280 AI, just not sure I need it.
Its just a great non magnum cartridge. Using the same class bullets, the mag will outrun it, but the 280AI really has a growing fan base. Low recoil and excellent hard hitting performance for its family of cartridges. Mine is from a shot out 7RM, reconfigured to the 280AI.

I'm running 64gr of rl 22 wlrm primer Remington brass I think my coal is 3.340 I'm getting clover leaf groups at 100 yds and just shy of 3100fps with an es or 9

I am basically getting ready to build this load in my 7 STW with 23. I have seen elsewhere that it shot .4 avg at 3400. Keeping my fingers crossed I get anywhere close to that

I can tell you that I've shot that bullet in several of my 7stw 's over the years and they perform wonderfully. I have sl DC o shot them in 7rm, and with same results. In my stw, without a doubt, THEE, most accurate bullet, I've ever shot, and terminal performance was incredible. It looked as though a mini propeller went through, and also exited. I shot a doe about ten years ago, the long way, at 400 plus yards, and is it passed through her, it grazed her left side inner rib cage. It left striation marks, and the cuts were wicked.
My sons 7mag, killed everything he shot with it.
Deep seat that bullet, and lite crimp if you can. It does make a difference. Good luck, enjoy!
Be safe!🦌

I can tell you that I've shot that bullet in several of my 7stw 's over the years and they perform wonderfully. I have sl DC o shot them in 7rm, and with same results. In my stw, without a doubt, THEE, most accurate bullet, I've ever shot, and terminal performance was incredible. It looked as though a mini propeller went through, and also exited. I shot a doe about ten years ago, the long way, at 400 plus yards, and is it passed through her, it grazed her left side inner rib cage. It left striation marks, and the cuts were wicked.
My sons 7mag, killed everything he shot with it.
Deep seat that bullet, and lite crimp if you can. It does make a difference. Good luck, enjoy!
Be safe!🦌

Thank you! I hope to get the same excellent results

I concur with you on the 168lrx. I tried to shoot it my 7stw, with a 1-9 1/2 twist. No dice. The 145 was awesome though. Love your rifle, and bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.