Ballistics Watch

SES50

I was out at a 1000 yard shooting competition the other day and had left my dope card at home. I was trying to find someone that could run the numbers for me out to 1000 yards. The only guy I was able to find had one of those new 5.11 ballistic watches. Even with being in a hurry and giving him approximate numbers for BC and Muzzle Velocity I was still on target at a 1000. I was pretty impressed. I have been looking into something other than a PDA to carry when out hunting and currently do not have a watch so I have been thinking about this a lot. Anyone here have any experience with these that can give some input?

Here is a link to one place that sells them:
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.e...CFTIeGAodWBWWKA

Save your $249.00 and buy a good ballistic program and chronograph for the less than this non-sense, or buy a good PDA program, ammo and other shooting accessories. Make range cards based on your actual data that has been verified or reverse engineered with a good ballistic program and tape them to your stock or log book. This watch is a waist of your hard earned money.

First it only uses a C1 drag model which is nothing different than a G1 drag model with a new name. It doesn't offer CD's which are much more accurate. What the maker of this program is saying, if I'm shooting a .308 VLD bullet and the person next to me is shooting a flat base round nose 30-30 point bullet, that program is going to use the same ballistic model to calculate both bullets external ballistics and be accurate...NOT! It doesn't work that way. Even with different BC's those two bullets will have totally different flight characteristics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Next getting your data input into the watch looks to be a pain in the ***, not to mention you'll need great eye sight to read the data. You can do better a lot better than this.

I have the 5.11 watch and love it. For every different cartridge I use I put in their specks "BC, grain,MV". So that makes up for three different cartridge specks, not just BC. Then the rest of the settings from temp,WS, WD, incl,rang,Alt. As for putting in the data I've found it very simple and have had it for almost 2 years now. They also now have three different versions and are all based on Horus Vision which is well known. If needed I could give you a contact of a precision long range instructor who has used it with success as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts