Kestrel/Applied Ballistics 4500

Litehiker

I'd like to see a review of the Kestrel/Applied Ballistics 4500 firing solution device.

This device, now with the more accurate Applied Ballistics software from Brian Litz, only needs the distance input to give you a firing solution that litertaly takes in all necessary atmospheric factors as well as coriolis effect and actual BC in G1 and G7 .

No more entering data into a PDA from other sources. Just one FFP entry from your laser range finder and you have a firing solution. This is nice in stand hunting where there is time to range various possible game paths or when there is time for a friend to range a slowly moving distant herd.

It can be had with Bluetooth to accept ranges instantly from a LRF.

I'm getting one of these later this year when my wallet can finally handle the nosebleed cost of around $500.

Anyone here used one for hunting? Competition?

We use them and have found them to be superb. Once you understand how to enter all the data and how the advanced functions work they are awesome we are seeing spot on data out to 2000 yards with several rifles.

Jordan@406

I'm also working on getting one. I shot rock chucks with tt35 earlier this summer. I had not had rifle in hand enough for data, but he took a couple of readings from sighter shots at different ranges, and we were dead on after that.

He's using the Horus data, I'm still trying to decide which program to get.

The Applied Ballistics data tables are by Brian Litz of Berger Bullets. His ballistics tables are the "Bible" of rifle ballistics because they have been real world tested and are not merely based on mathematical theory.

The Horus A-Trag ballistics are good but Applied Ballistics is better because it is, as the name implies, derived from APPLIED data from the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.