Ballistics calculator drops off after 500 yards

Time On Target, after doing some research on another well known site, there is well written opinions on that site from guys who routinely shoot to a mile or more. The general consensus of those shooters is that make sure to dead on zero at 100 yards, input correct environmental data, input accurate MV which you have and did. Test your drop data at 500 yards, which you said is spot on. The MV is the biggest concern out to 500 Yards, you can verify this by playing with your apps. BC doesn't really come into play until out past 500 yards, but since your MV is known to be accurate from your testing out to 500 Yards, they suggest it is a BC issue. You stated you can shoot to 700 Yards, if you can shoot further, the better, say 800 yards, then do a BC correction on your app until it matches what your bullet is actually doing. Your BC changes with bullet velocity. Hornady has data on the ELD bullets for three different BC's, depending on the bullet speed. Sierra does as well. I recently bought the Strelok Pro for $ 11.99 and it is well worth the money. Has the ability to set up to five different bullet BC adjustments along the bullet trajectory. It also allows for scope truing also. Once you adjust your BC to correspond with actual drop, move out to say 1200 yards and do the same thing for the BC at that range also, if you can shoot that distance where you are at. BTW, use the MV from your testing because you know it to be very close, if it aint broke, don't fix it, is the old saying. Try this on your ballistic app. You should be able to fix your problem on the app and then verify in actual shooting situations. IMO, this may help your situation. Don't over think it. If you start changing everything that you think of, you will just be chasing your tail. Good luck.

Will do Smokes! I'll start with adjusting my velocity to match real world data. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'll do a ladder test and check out the scope. go from there.
I posted an update, please check it out. It is very similar to a couple of others on here and I think it will help. I would use the MV that you already have to start out with and adjust your BC a little further out past 700 or 800 yards.

Hey Guys,

I've been absent from the site for awhile but have come across something i cannot seem to resolve.

I'm shooting a custom 6.5x284 1-8" twist using a 143eldx at 2998fps verified by my magnetospeed. Optic is a vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27moa.

I'm using the hornady DOF4 ballistic calculator. I've checked my inputs over and over again and cannot find one that is wrong.

Now for my problem, my drops out to 500yds seem spot on 500yds calls for 6.98moa of come up which rings the gong center mass everytime, my next gong is at 700yds, which calls for 12.52moa of come up, in reality i need 11.5-11.75 MOA of come up to hit center mass.

What is coming into play here between 500yds and 700 yds?
OP: Betcha a dollar your click values are off and you've got one other input (of which I have some suspects). DM me and I'll help you out.

I posted an update, please check it out. It is very similar to a couple of others on here and I think it will help. I would use the MV that you already have to start out with and adjust your BC a little further out past 700 or 800 yards.
I would absolutely NOT do that. That's the equivalent of saying that the BC will increase as velocity decreases which we know does not happen.

OP: Betcha a dollar your click values are off and you've got one other input (of which I have some suspects). DM me and I'll help you out.
I reread OP post. He does state that he needs less elevation than it calls for. Good catch. I will just shut up because I am not helping here.

If your zero is a guesstimate say 2" high at 100yds and is 1/2" off of a true 200yd zero the error this creates starts really showing up at the longer ranges.

Normally it is but I tend to hook up LRH members who are having troubles.
I do not mind paying. You seem very knowledgeable. I am just a hunter mostly, but do have access to a 1000 yard range and like to shoot. Where I live in the mountains of WV, it is hard to shoot much further and not encroach on someone else's property.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.