Ballistics calculator drops off after 500 yards

A solver doesn't do anything but use math based on the data provided so obviously it's a input error. No denying that.

I saw a few mentioned truing your calculator/dope and I agree this is the way. If all is else is correct then the two most likely culprits are mv and/or bc truing.

Other issues could be sight height or anything with your zero. It's best to confirm zero then document or have a calculator that references zero conditions.

Now as far as bc and mv...don't get caught up in what "my chrono is telling me" or "it can't be this"
Truing is just a form of getting all the numbers to align in real world. By bending your bc and mv a little here and a little there you can usually get it all to align.

After 500y is definetly about the time the calculator that's not trued has issues more so for non magnums or super flat shooting cartridges.

Scope tracking at least in my opinion is a yes AND no. Depends how bad the tracking error is, and the further the distance obviously the more error...and if you tweak your mv and bc but can seem to get a complete alignment of dope then that could certainly be it. Either way a tall target can only help.

Last edited:
In addition to the terrain question, can you tell us the elevation of your range? You've undoubtedly put that into your ballistics calculator, but in my experience, differences between ballistics calculators grow at high elevations.
Just FYI I live in CO and have found a few anomalies like this! Temperature differences 200yards apart of 10 to 15 degrees due to subsurface conditions like water. Take multiple temp/Humidity readings along your bullet flight path you may be surprised. I find this mostly in CO and NM at altitude! These anomalies will change humidity and really mess with single readings ballistics!

Like a few others already stated, I would verify zero and run a tall target test to measure scope tracking. This seems a likely culprit to me. Not sure what calculator you're using, but after you have tested tracking you can make the necessary adjustments to some ballistic calculators. I personally use the applied ballistics mobile app. and it has a ton of variables you can input, including scope correction factor. After adjustments, be as precise as possible with all of the input parameters, temp, altitude, wind, etc. Powder temp stability can play a factor as well so don't overlook that variable. Get through all of this fine tuning and then you can be more confident it's one of two variables, B.C. or muzzle velocity. I actually like to run with my chronographed M.V. and make the small adjustments to the B.C. since drop data is really the only practical way of measuring your B.C. as long as you trust your M.V. I've found this to be more accurate than adjusting M.V. as far as wind calls.

i dont believe hornady has that feature. I'll give 3050 a shot.

The only other thing i could think of is if my scope is not tracking correctly.
Hornady 4DOF has the ability to change the AXIAL FACTOR which starts out at a neutral setting of one. It is adjusted up or down to match your real field data being received. There is a video that explains this process. It is very accurate. It is designed to help with the problem you are having.

Hornady 4DOF has the ability to change the AXIAL FACTOR which starts out at a neutral setting of one. It is adjusted up or down to match your real field data being received. There is a video that explains this process. It is very accurate. It is designed to help with the problem you are having.
I've played with this setting and im all the way down to .90.

Still aren't getting there though...

Well, it was at least an option. I hope you get it figured out and when you do, please let us know.

Will do Smokes! I'll start with adjusting my velocity to match real world data. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'll do a ladder test and check out the scope. go from there.

I dont know how accurate magnetospeeds are. But if they are generally good i would test the scope first. The hornady ap has been spot on for me out to around a mile.

I am fairly new to the long range thing so I do not k ow this to be accurate or not (maybe one of you more experienced guys do) but a local "gun guru" was telling me the other day that most guys do not realize that shooting across water a good distance will make you hit high do to the water evaporation rising up and just the opposite that shooting across flat ground with very little deviation for a long way will cause your bullet to hit low creating the need to adjust more than calculations call for. How far until this takes effect I don't know.
Like I said, I have no personal k owlage of this but Might be worth checking into

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.