Ballistics caculator help

I tried the Applied ballistics and also bought the Strelok app. They are all close but not quite close enough. If I do it for 500 the 400 is 4.2 MOA verses 4.75 actual. Which makes me wonder as I stretch it out what the data verses actual is going to be.

It's been a while since I did a zero. I am wondering if I didn't zero this for 100 and not 200 as I shot it at both.

I will head to the range again in the morning to confirm my zero. I will update what I find.
Wow, if you aren't even sure of your zero distance, I wonder how accurately you know velocity, range to target, wind, and several other critical factors. How are you obtaining velocity? What chrono? How set up? How are you obtaining/measuring range? Rangefinder? Which finder? How is finder calibrated for laser point of aim? Actual tape measure to target? Are you assuming your shooting facility has correct posted ranges? how accurate were they measured? Maybe meters versus yards issue? All critical to make your DOPE not match actual impacts and thus screwing with your deviation troubleshooting. Garbage in; garbage out. Start at ground zero (pun intended) and work through all the details. only way to get accurate DOPE.

@Pro2A

I have a 100 yard test range and travel to the long range. With hand loading for 4 different rifles and several months of time elapsed. If I don't write it down it does not remembered. I kept the zero targets for each rifle and load. I didn't write down the zero on these targets.

So with my normal zero set at 200, I opted to skip it and start at 300. Those were my mistakes.

I looked thru the Sticky on this and used the working links plus several others to ballistic calculators. I cannot come up with a accurate chart to save my life, they all say I should have way more drop than I actually do. I need some help figuring out why.

Details confirmed at range on paper.
7mm Mag 150g Barnes TTSX Boattail
Barnes Listed BC .450
FPS average 3110 Via Magnetospeed
Wind was from 9 oclock at 10-15 MPH
Temp was 83 degrees
Barometer was 30.19
Humidity was 43%
Shooting angle -10 degrees
Elevation 641'
Scope height to center of bore 1.750

200y zero
300y 2.5 MOA
400y 4.75 MOA
500y 6.75 MOA

I am looking for a app that has the Barnes bullets listed also for a iPhone. I also have tried to create a custom label but their ballistics don't match either, although they are the closest so far.

Thanks for the help.
Try the Shooter app from Kennedy group I've used it since I started long range shooting for years works great

Pro2A is correct in that you have to have a known starting point to work from. Without all the facts, you will never get good dope. Also, do your testing when the wind is not a factor, as it will affect your POI, elevation and windage.
Finally, BC is a fluid number. I modify it to dial in elevation at different distances so it matches actual results. Scope correction factor can also be used, but not as easily. I currently have a single BC that is good from 300 to 1250 (+/- a click), DEPENDING on weather and wind. Currently use "shooter" (Easy to work with).

actual: 2.5, 4.75, 6.75

JBM: 1.9, 4.2, 6.7
Strelok: 1.9, 4.2, 6.7
Ballistic Arc: 1.9, 4.2, 6.8
AB: 1.7, 4.0, 6.6
Trasol: 2.1, 4.1, 6.8

The ballistic program isn't his problem. They are all so close it doesn't matter.

actual: 2.5, 4.75, 6.75

JBM: 1.9, 4.2, 6.7
Strelok: 1.9, 4.2, 6.7
Ballistic Arc: 1.9, 4.2, 6.8
AB: 1.7, 4.0, 6.6
Trasol: 2.1, 4.1, 6.8

The ballistic program isn't his problem. They are all so close it doesn't matter.

The problem was I needed a -1" correction on my zero. When I added that the numbers jived.

I looked thru the Sticky on this and used the working links plus several others to ballistic calculators. I cannot come up with a accurate chart to save my life, they all say I should have way more drop than I actually do. I need some help figuring out why.

Details confirmed at range on paper.

7mm Mag 150g Barnes TTSX Boattail
Barnes Listed BC .450
FPS average 3110 Via Magnetospeed
Wind was from 9 oclock at 10-15 MPH
Temp was 83 degrees
Barometer was 30.19
Humidity was 43%
Shooting angle -10 degrees
Elevation 641'
Scope height to center of bore 1.750

200y zero
300y 2.5 MOA
400y 4.75 MOA
500y 6.75 MOA

I am looking for a app that has the Barnes bullets listed also for a iPhone. I also have tried to create a custom label but their ballistics don't match either, although they are the closest so far.

Thanks for the help.
Try the strelok pro app !

Why should he? No one app is any better than any other. Dog Rocket and I have already shown that.

I did buy that app when I started this thread. But the one thing I haven't found is a app that you could put multiple points of impact to. Traditionally more points of data in a equation equals better end results. Do any of the other paid apps allow that?

I did buy that app when I started this thread. But the one thing I haven't found is a app that you could put multiple points of impact to. Traditionally more points of data in a equation equals better end results. Do any of the other paid apps allow that?
The Shooter app allows it. Called Velocity Calibration
Applied Ballistics allows it also. Called Ballistics Calibration
Other may too, dunno.

That's what I would call goal seeking. Doing that is a defacto admission that either the math was wrong or the inputs were wrong. Since the math doesn't change, the inputs need to but which one and by how much? Most ballistics apps have some capacity for adding some level of refinement to the data, usually something like banded BC's and stepped velocities and such. Many apps (not mine because I advocate accurate data gathering and analysis) have "truing" features which adjust velocity or BC to make N result match the prediction of the model. In the case of velocity it's not truing squat, it's fabricating bogus input data to match observed results without regard to the origin of the departure between the mathematical model and the observed results. This is making up for BDU's (brain dead users) who don't want to troubleshoot or are incapable of troubleshooting. As far as BC truing, that is in my opinion the only legitimate use of truing type functionality. That's only because minor changes in BC aren't necessarily unheard of going from one lot of projectiles to another and because drag, especially at long range, is affected by quite a few continuously varying factors in the real world.

Dealing with an ultra-complicated reality in a way that Joe Sixpack with no understanding of the physics involved can enter some trivially easy to gather information into an app and get an answer to their question is not going to be without consequences to the perfection of the prediction of the model.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.