Ballistic software

Hi, I want to do some long range hunting, and I´ve got a .308. I´ve got a nokia lumia cell phone, and I want to run a ballistic program on it.

I will not exceed 600 m. for hunting and 800/850 for steel shooting. The target is a 12" diameter steel and 8" for hunting purpouses.

What ballistic program do you think is necessary to acomplish this goals, Applied ballistic, Shooter, BulletFlight 1 or 2?

On the other hand, I´ve heard that Patagonian ballistic program is the best available right now, but the cost of it u$s150 and the others named before are a lot cheaper; do I need to pay that amount of money to be able to achieve my goals?

Thanks in advance!

All of the ones you have listed will work, some better than others. Cream of the crop are Field Firing Solutions and then Patagonia cold bore. I run FFS on my nomads and they are always my go to solver, then applied ballistics. I would say to get one and learn it welll, then use it to its best ability.

All of the ones you have listed will work, some better than others. Cream of the crop are Field Firing Solutions and then Patagonia cold bore. I run FFS on my nomads and they are always my go to solver, then applied ballistics. I would say to get one and learn it welll, then use it to its best ability.

Thank you azprc for your answer. One more question:
Do you know if applied ballistics works in meters and celcius, or only yards and farenheit?

On another long range site BignGreen and I actually conducted a very in depth test of several apps. The main motivation was to pit Applied Ballistics and CB 1 against each other for shooting solutions. We set the rifle up using very precise measurements of everything from measured scope turret calibrations corrections down to .008 to muzzle velocity from an Oehler 35 and Magneto speed V2. Then we went to my range to test on a clean target with a 4" aim point. We fired two shots from each position at 800, 1200, 1600 and 1773 yards measured with a Vectronics PLRF10. Then the next day we repeated the test for consistency again firing two shots from each location. The purpose for the two shots were to simulate a cold bore shot and follow up. The rifle was dialed in using Applied ballistics and the custom drag model for the 300 Berger OTM. The results were that no bullet fell below or above .5 moa from point of aim. Applied Ballistics and CB1 pretty much ran hand in hand for shooting solutions out to and a ways beyond 1 mile. I think even as far as 1900 yards. We did shoot out to 2970 plus yards where the two apps were a bit different but the results were inconclusive. At this distance we found a wind from 11:00 was making more of a change in elevation than the apps were different. So it could not be concluded which was closer. In the end we concluded all the apps tested were good to go and pretty much in agreement with the exception of a free app or two.

The differences in apps is not "This one is best or Top dog" as far as shooting solutions go. The difference lies in personal preferences for what the app offers or what app flows best in the field for your type of shooting or hunting.

In the end it boils down to Good data in equals Good data out. After this test I decided I was not giving up anything and elected to stay with Applied Ballistics for my primary app and Shooter for my secondary app. as I personally prefer the way they function and flow.

I have since attended the Long Range Only Shoot in WA. This was my first round cold bore hit and only shot I fired at a 10" square from 2320 yards using Applied Ballistics and the Custom Drag model for the 300 Berger OTM. It is within .5 moa from aim point.

MG_0426_zps8182801c.jpg

On another long range site BignGreen and I actually conducted a very in depth test of several apps. The main motivation was to pit Applied Ballistics and CB 1 against each other for shooting solutions. We set the rifle up using very precise measurements of everything from measured scope turret calibrations corrections down to .008 to muzzle velocity from an Oehler 35 and Magneto speed V2. Then we went to my range to test on a clean target with a 4" aim point. We fired two shots from each position at 800, 1200, 1600 and 1773 yards measured with a Vectronics PLRF10. Then the next day we repeated the test for consistency again firing two shots from each location. The purpose for the two shots were to simulate a cold bore shot and follow up. The rifle was dialed in using Applied ballistics and the custom drag model for the 300 Berger OTM. The results were that no bullet fell below or above .5 moa from point of aim. Applied Ballistics and CB1 pretty much ran hand in hand for shooting solutions out to and a ways beyond 1 mile. I think even as far as 1900 yards. We did shoot out to 2970 plus yards where the two apps were a bit different but the results were inconclusive. At this distance we found a wind from 11:00 was making more of a change in elevation than the apps were different. So it could not be concluded which was closer. In the end we concluded all the apps tested were good to go and pretty much in agreement with the exception of a free app or two.

The differences in apps is not "This one is best or Top dog" as far as shooting solutions go. The difference lies in personal preferences for what the app offers or what app flows best in the field for your type of shooting or hunting.

In the end it boils down to Good data in equals Good data out. After this test I decided I was not giving up anything and elected to stay with Applied Ballistics for my primary app and Shooter for my secondary app. as I personally prefer the way they function and flow.

I have since attended the Long Range Only Shoot in WA. This was my first round cold bore hit and only shot I fired at a 10" square from 2320 yards using Applied Ballistics and the Custom Drag model for the 300 Berger OTM. It is within .5 moa from aim point.

MG_0426_zps8182801c.jpg

Nice shot Broz, and thank you very much for your information, it's very usefull and precise.

Nice shooting jeff, what I would give to spend some time out there with you shooting and picking your brain. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts