Ballistic reticle analysis formulas or programs

wwaterhouse

I am looking for information on how to calculate stadia line/ bullet drop equivelancy for different powers on my scopes.

I currently am interested primarily in the zeiss RZ800 and the IOR/Valdada MP8 DOT. i am fully capable of using zeiss' calculator, however it will not let me use thier program in reverse... I want to select the power setting i want to use and get a print out of what ranges each stadia line represents...

similarly i would like to be able to have the ability to setup charts for the IOR mp8 dot reticle for a variety of powers ie 4x (min), and 10x rather than just 16x (max) from strelok for android and iphone...

Any suggestions on ballistic software or resources to get started understanding/learning how to create my own based on known calibrations (ie RZ 800 is almost dead on from 300 to 800 for the marked stadia lines 3-8 while on 11.6 power setting... )

(.308 Honady superformance from AR10 and M1A)

I noticed the same thing. The program should definitely allow you to punch in a specific power setting and solve for other variables.
It takes longer, but if you adjust the variables (bullet wt, fps, zero dist) at set intervals, you'll eventually get to the desired power. If not, you'll at least see a trend develop. That should be enough to get you close.

Haveing worked with the MP-8 reticle for over ten years here is what I've come up with.
Have only used the fixed 16x and 6-24s but here is what works for me. The fixed 16x is what it is a ½ mil that works great for holdovers.....I usualy sight them in @ 100 on the first medium hash above the reticle and figure the drops out from there useing standard mildot formulas.
The 6-24s and the 3-18 are easy as all you have to do is calibrate the reticle to 18x and its turns into an MOA reticle istead of mills. I'm tempted to lock the adjuster on these scope once they are calibrated but as yet have learned to leave them @ 18x and call it good enough?
I see no need to know the holdovers @ the lowest power as I only use that for point plank shooting where the x hairs are good enough. For full power settings I just use a 1" grid target @ exactly 100 yards and make note of where the hashes are on the grid and can work a chart up from there.
A little time @ the range will tell you a lot, we do a lot of rock busting to confirm drops.

Exbal performs a lot of the subtension vs. magnification calcs. for you. That may be what you're looking for. Shoud be others out there that do the same as it's just an inversely proportional calculation that is used. As magnification INCREASES reticle subtension DECREASES. So you can really do all this stuff yourself.

Here is a Utube that explains the concepts some--

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEhoNaRi2s]Pt. 2) More Reticle-Rangefinding Math Including 2nd Focal Plane Reticles. - YouTube[/ame]

skip to 4:40.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.