ballistic mil-dot

mooser

I recently bought a sightron scope and love the clearity
of the optics. Now for my question. Can anyone explain to me the proper use of the mil-dot reticle?

[ QUOTE ]
I recently bought a sightron scope and love the clearity
of the optics. Now for my question. Can anyone explain to me the proper use of the mil-dot reticle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

Here is the useful stuff for your Sightron Mildot Scope.
I have Sightron too, and I modified this excel file for Sightron.

http://www.canadaonlineclassified.com/sightronjan252007slopedoper.xls.

Be aware to use MILDOT for SIGHTRON you have to setup your scope at maximum power.
If your scope is 6-20x50MD, then to range and use the mils techniques you have to set the scope at 20X power.

If you have more questions, please fell free and contact me.

Cris

The basics:
Set the scope at maximum power.
Now at 100yards between 2 mils you have 3.6 inches.
at 200yards = 3.6 inches x2 = 7 inches
at 300 yards = 3.6 inches x3 = 9.6 inches
and so on...

So if you know the approx size of your target you can ver easy approximate the distance.
Ex: 18inches chest sieze for Deer, and you see in your scope at 20x the chest is exactle between 2 mils using the formula:
(size target x 27.74)/MILS reading = distance to the target in yards.
so (18x27.74)/1 = 499 yards

Cris

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(size target x 27.74)/MILS reading = distance to the target in yards.
so (18x27.74)/1 = 499 yards

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically it is 27.778

On the flip side, 27.74 works close enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, YES it is 27.778. Sorry guys, I was at work, and did have enough time to check the right info.

cris

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, that tells me a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear mooser,
go and read the link from supermag.
It is a great info for understanding the MILS principles.
and if you use my excel file, and modified the distances, and size of the animals, the wind value, you would start understanding how mil systems can help you.
It is a great method when you rangefinder it let you down (to could to operate) or dead battery.

Do your home work, read and read, and try to get used with mils scopes used.
In a real hunting situation, for quick holdover can be very useful to aim right and also for wind correction without using your knobs.
Here in Alberta, If you shoot a buck with horns (antlers) less then 4 inches you can put the dow tag on it.
So if your buck is popup at 100yards and in your scope at 20X power you see the horns are exactly between the 2 mils, it is a dow - so perfect met in the fridge.
The same for elk 3point, the points lenght not less then 3.5 inches (the same techniques used with matching between your mils at 20x power), and it can help you for letter troubles, explaining to the warden, ... You know, I was thinking.... it was legal... Please...

You know the old story.

Cris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts