Burris 6-24 Black Diamond w/ ballistic mil dot

Thanks for the input on the tracking and eye relief.

What I want is hash marks on the windage reticle. The other mil dot scope I own is designed to function at 12x. Max power for this scope is 14, and at 14x the mils equal 3" instead of 3.6. This makes the math easy for holding into the wind. I think the 6-24 has the mil dots functioning at 12-14x. I also think at some point those dots will equal 2".

The BDC reticle would also be a bonus for quick shots out to 500 or so.

What I'd like is a reticle like the Nightforce np r1 or 2 without the bulk and pricetag of a Nightforce. I've only owned one Burris, several years ago. It was a 4-16 sig. I remember being happy with the scope. But, I didn't shoot long range then.

I'll look at any scope that has the features I want. They include:
1. accurate tracking
2. power up to 20x
3. marks on the windage
4. nice knobs- I don't want tall target knobs or really big knobs. I like the knobs on my Nikon buckmaster.
5. 1/4" adjustments
6. at least 40" of elevation adjustment
7. adjustable parralax/ focus
8. good glass - I am happy with the glass on my Nikon Monarch, for a benchmark.
9. affordable price - the $7-800 tag on the Burris is pushing what I care to spend
10. decent size - I looked at the nightforce. Too bulky for my taste.

I would appreciate any advice or suggetions.

Yes, I've looked at the Zeis. Nice scope. A mil reticle would make it ideal. I'll have to look and see if they offer one. I've never seen one.

Went to the store to look at scopes today. The above mentioned black diamond at the store ($150 overpriced) had 1/4" adjustments. I've found them online for much less. But, the sites and the burris catalogue say they have 1/8" adjustments. Don't know if the scope at the store is an older model or what.

There was also a 6.5-20 fulfield 2 tactical. It had the reticle I like. But, the scope knobs were printed going the wrong direction. And the knob didn't end on an even number. Dial had 9.5 inches per turn. What the hell? Am I msitaken or is Burris up in the night?

If you are planning on clicking your elevation, and it sounds as if you are, make sure the scope you pick has enough elevation for your chambering/load/distance.

Some of the high power Burris scopes have extreamly low amounts of elevation adjustment.

Hey Gritt
Stay away from Burris they suck! Service department sucks. I had a Black Diamond 8x32x50MM. It was fuzzy in the center. Optics were crummy. Leupold was better but not a whole lot.This is not my priavate opinion. Tons of others had simalier experiences. Zeiss Conquest 6x20x50 is the greatest for your price range. The Optic Zone has great prices. Call them ask for advice.

Well, I called and emailed Burris. They told me the black diamond has 1/8" click adjustments. I told them I had held and inspected a 6-24 with 1/4" adjustments. They replied the 6-24 was 1/8" and has always been 1/8" So, I drove back to Cabelas and looked at the quarter inch per click knobs one more time. Again Burris assured me the 6-24 had 1/8 inch adjustments and always had. Maybe I should send a picture of the bloody knobs!

I next asked about the fulfield II tactical with the numbers going in reverse order. They told me they would be happy to send me replacement turrets for it. When I asked if the replacement turrets ended on a whole number unlike the backwards version, they gave me a hesitant yes. Come on!

Further, in three emails, they repeatedly ignored my question as to availability of sig rings for my cz.

I've always been a fan of Burris. They just weren't able to give me any confidence in thier products this time. I bought a Leupold today. At least it'll be easy to sell if I decide I want something else.

Its because of your guys experience I wont buy Burris anything. I tried a burris FF2 w/bal plex and found it was blurry on anything past 6x. The edges were fuzzy, ie. not crisp. Pretty crappy scope I thought coming from Burris. I haven't talked to there techs or anything like that, but from what Ive read about others, they aren't near as good as Leupold or some of the others. I guess it just depends on who you talk to though. I've not had 1 problem with all the Leupolds I've ever owned. Talk to the next guy and he could have had 3 problems with leupold out of 3 scopes. Weird!! Point is, quality control can be missed as were all only human, but thats what customer service is for. This is where I've heard/read Burris fails miserably, and there made in the USA. Thats not a good thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.