Ballistic comparisons, give me you numbers.

AJ Peacock

I'd like to compile a spreadsheet of the different LR calibers/bullets that are used here, so I can do a side-by-side comparisonn to better understand the strengths of the different options LR shooters have. I'd like to show drops and drift for the different options. I have one of the free ballistic programs, so I could use Muzzle vel + BC + caliber + weight. Or I can figure the drops via a couple of Velocities and different distances + Weight + caliber.

Obviously, compared in this way several of the choices will be rather close. I just want to put together a thumbnail sketch of the choices.

To make it fair I will need Barrel length as well.

For the factory chamberings, I can get close data from my reloading manuals. The information I am in need of are the various Wildcats.

thanks,
AJ

Aj,

what you are asking would take someone a hours to do.

My best advice is for you to buy the Exbal Program, the Sierra Infinity Program or goto one of the Web based ballistic programs that Dave King has posted about. ( try a serch for it ) or go to the bullets barrels and ballistics area. If you do not know the BC of the bullets you can go to any manufacturers sight and they will have the B.C.'s listed. I know Exbal and the good ballistics programs have most bullets and the BC' already in them.

hope this helps...

Ric,

Thats just it. I doubt the programs have the 277AM 338Edge etc. in them. Especially with the specialty bullets these guys are using. I agree, the factory stuff is easy to get. What I need is the raw data from the 'Wildcats' so I can make a decision as to which 'build' will best suit my needs.

If Exbal has these calibers/cartridges etc. in them, then I will order it today.

AJ

AJ,

I can tell you for the 270 AM, use a BC of .740 for the 169.5 WC. We are pushing these between 3400-3450 fps with full tilt loads.

As far as the 185 gr goes, I would use a BC of .820 + or - for some estimates. I don't think 3200 fps is out of the question w/the 270 AM and this bullet.

On other calibers, just look around here and find some reported velocities and note the bullets used. You can look up any of the commercially available bullet BCs online.

Hope this helps.

Bill,

Thanks, thats exactly what I am looking for. What barrel length are you running?

I'll add some factory chamberings to my spreadsheet/charts so everyone will have a point of reference.

Thanks again,
AJ

What your asking us for is ridiculous.
But the data your looking for, even for wildcats, but minus the custom bullets, can be pulled up in RCBS.Load
http://www.gmdr.com/rcbs/rcbs.htm

This is a compilation of load manuals(all I believe), it's relatively cheap, free online updates about every week. And best of all, comes bundled with Cartridge Design. Best I've seen for researching and designing cartridges offline.

There is also, The Reload Bench. Super source for user information. www.reloadbench.com

[ QUOTE ]
What your asking us for is ridiculous.
But the data your looking for, even for wildcats, but minus the custom bullets,can be pulled up in RCBS.Load

[/ QUOTE ]

All I'm asking for is Barrel Length, Bullet info, BC and Velocity. Most shooters LIKE TO BRAG ON THEIR PET's!

I'm going to build the spreadsheet. Please explain to me what is ridiculous about my request!

You said yourself that the custom bullet info wasn't available online.
This is the exact Info I'm asking for.
I've found some of it scattered across the site. Just wanted to get a more complete look at the custom stuff you guys are using!

AJ

[ QUOTE ]
I'm following ya. I guess it sounded bad, but I didn't mean it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

No harm, no foul. So, whats your pet?

AJ

AJ I wonder if it would help listing the wild cat cartridges you are reading about that you want info on. This would show that you have done some research on your own. Maybe come up with a dozen cartridges to start with. Sometimes it matters how you ask a question to get others to respond. Writing a good question takes some practice.

Good luck. I'm watching this project closely. I don't want to buy a ballistics program to find out all this stuff. That defeats the purpose of a public forum. I and many others (I'm sure) would like to see the info here so we can discuss it later.

Carry on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And better to teach how to fish than it is to just point at the school.

All he is really asking is for some vels and bullet specs for off brand loads these guys are using. How is a newbie supposed to know what loads over at reloadersnest are favored by guys in the LRH game? In all honesty I have never gone to reloaders nest (but I will now). Do they have Shawn carlocks latest loads for the .338 edge? Do they have Lerches favorite 1500 yard Allen Mag load listed? Didn't think so. But I think that is all peacock wants.

I didn't see any specific request. So I steered him to more than most anyone here can post in a lifetime.
But your welcome to throw a fish in the pond. Thats nice of you.

I personally shoot a 6mm Eatmyass Imp. But it's top secret, being that it fits right between 73 cartidges that do the same thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.