BADLANDS PRECISION

This should keep you busy for a while :)

Took my elk & deer this season with the Badlands Precision Bulldozer 6.5 125gr. A very mature elk at about 30 to 35 yds. Extreme stress on a bullet at this close of range, at about 3000 fps impact. . Bullet entered way back behind the left shoulder crossing over left to right. Broke "two ribs" going in. Crossed over , caught the back edge of the heart . Then went all the way thru the right shoulder. Bullet traveled about 2 feet from entrance to exit. Found the bullet just under the hide of the right shoulder when skinning. Fired from a Savage stainless model 16 , 260 Rem. at 3039 fps according to my chrono. Picture shows a before & after of the bullet. Remaining weight 105grs. Front pedals sheared off as the byllet was designed to do. . This rifle has a 22", 1/8 twist Bbl. Virtually the same performance as the Hammer 6.5 121gr bullet on a previous elk a couple years back. My experience with copper mono' started on elk back in 1994 with the Barnes. They, every brand has worked great for me. Pick what ever shoots best in your rifle & go with it. I found the Badlands Bulldozer easy to shoot accurately.

Attachments

• Elk 005.JPG
    Elk 005.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 140
Took my elk & deer this season with the Badlands Precision Bulldozer 6.5 125gr. A very mature elk at about 30 to 35 yds. Extreme stress on a bullet at this close of range, at about 3000 fps impact. . Bullet entered way back behind the left shoulder crossing over left to right. Broke "two ribs" going in. Crossed over , caught the back edge of the heart . Then went all the way thru the right shoulder. Bullet traveled about 2 feet from entrance to exit. Found the bullet just under the hide of the right shoulder when skinning. Fired from a Savage stainless model 16 , 260 Rem. at 3039 fps according to my chrono. Picture shows a before & after of the bullet. Remaining weight 105grs. Front pedals sheared off as the byllet was designed to do. . This rifle has a 22", 1/8 twist Bbl. Virtually the same performance as the Hammer 6.5 121gr bullet on a previous elk a couple years back. My experience with copper mono' started on elk back in 1994 with the Barnes. They, every brand has worked great for me. Pick what ever shoots best in your rifle & go with it. I found the Badlands Bulldozer easy to shoot accurately.
Nice post. You hit the nail on the head. Copper bullets can take the stress of high speed impacts. With higher BCs than comparable lead cores BD2s extend this effect to extended distances.

Nice post. You hit the nail on the head. Copper bullets can take the stress of high speed impacts. With higher BCs than comparable lead cores BD2s extend this effect to extended distances.
I thought the petals were not designed to shear off?

Is this by design or just something that happens?
It is sort of by design. It's a consequence of the thickness of the base of the ogived and the ductility of the copper. Using more brittle copper would cause the petals to fly off a lot sooner. That's not something we think is a good thing from the standpoint of the lethality on game.

Suppose to have 95% retention
125 to 105 isnn't 95% retention. I would rather have the petals come off. Juat saying that's not how they were designed as stated previously unless everything I have read to date on them is wrong.

Maybe 95% at lower impact velocity without shedding of the copper petals/tip.

No way 95% if the copper petals are shed.

Is this by design or just something that happens?
It's a consequence of the high impact stress forces exceeding the shear stress of the copper but by the time the shear occurs the bullet has traveled about 10", so in a right angle impact the bullet is about to exit the animal and gone through the width of the animal in an expanded state. Remember, animals are not homogeneous targets like gel. They have lungs which are much less dense than bone, and even within a type of bone the thickness and hardness can vary at different places on that bone. Glancing hits on bone like a rib can cause the bullet to tumble and create a different internal wound channel than if the bullet entered in between ribs. This should be obvious to those who are experienced hunters and carefully examine their wound channels. The photo is of a wound channel done by a Badlands bullet as a consequence of a frontal chest shot on a deer along with commentary by the hunter who has harvested multiple Deer with his Badlands bullets. Clearly the bullet path is much less homogeneous and harder on the bullet than gel, but clearly the bullets are very effective.

Attachments

• IMG_6878.png
    IMG_6878.png
    727 KB · Views: 104
Last edited: