Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

So I was able to take some chamber measurements in the new 270WSM-LA I had built with the 150 SBD-2 and also the 140 SBD-2. See photos below. Chamber cut with total of 200 freebore. Hope to get out this weekend with some test loads.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
So I was able to take some chamber measurements in the new 270WSM-LA I had built with the 150 SBD-2 and also the 140 SBD-2. See photos below. Chamber cut with total of 200 freebore. Hope to get out this weekend with some test loads.
Awesome! I'm burning through my factory 1:10 twist 270wsm for now, but the freebore measurement will come in useful for me in the future.

As a matter of fact we have run into problems. It has hurt us. Have been very reluctant to call out any names. It is safer to name the barrels that we know work well with our bullets. The list is pretty long. Here goes: Bartlein, K&P, Benchmark, Pack Nor, Preferred, Lilja, McGowan, Douglas, Savage, Proof, Remington on their 1960s production rifles. Have not tried Hart or Shilen. Some of our customers may have used other brands that have worked well for them but have not told us, not that we necessarily needed to know. Very kind of Chase to mention us. He is a real stand up guy and very very honest. Superb teacher of the art of ELR shooting, I should add.
I was looking at getting a criterion for my savage but remembered this conversation. Does anyone have good results from criterion barrels with the BD2s?

At those dimensions, does that actually keep the bearing surface of the 150gr out of the neck/shoulder junction? Just by eyeballing the photo, it looks like the bullet would be inserted past that junction. Not actually having a 150gr in hand to measure, I would have assumed that it would require a COAL of closer to 3.250" to keep the bearing surface out of the case neck junction which would be somewhere in the range of 0.300" freebore.

375 EnABELR
Peterson Case
CCI #34 primer
24N41 - 135grains
365 grain SBD2

Got the 365 SBD2 pushing an average of 2975fps. Really need to get this rifle out to distance and see how it performs. Well, most importantly how I perform.

Might take it down to one of our 1000 yard matches and shoot a string with it. That will give me some good data for longer distances.

image_cropper_9F3D91F4-CF8D-400F-B6AC-B4CFE8D3D057-31284-00000930A829B90B.jpeg

At those dimensions, does that actually keep the bearing surface of the 150gr out of the neck/shoulder junction? Just by eyeballing the photo, it looks like the bullet would be inserted past that junction. Not actually having a 150gr in hand to measure, I would have assumed that it would require a COAL of closer to 3.250" to keep the bearing surface out of the case neck junction which would be somewhere in the range of 0.300" freebore.
I don't believe it does but I built this rifle wanting to be able to run multiple different projectiles and not just the 150 SBD. For instance both the 140 and 150 are longer than the Berger 170. I'm also looking at maybe testing the McGuire 128. Anyways….. time will tell.

I don't believe it does but I built this rifle wanting to be able to run multiple different projectiles and not just the 150 SBD. For instance both the 140 and 150 are longer than the Berger 170. I'm also looking at maybe testing the McGuire 128. Anyways….. time will tell.
Have you tried the 160gr maker t-rexs yet?