Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

Ok, I got my first kill with my .338, and also my first kill with the 270 bulldozer. Not quite the test I wanted, but there are a few more pronghorn doe that will be taken with this set up.

Range was only 187 yards, so pretty close. My intent was to put it right behind the shoulder to see if I would get expansion with only hitting the thin rib area, but I couldn't make myself aim that far back, I hate field dressing pronghorn that have any gut ruptured, and I have seen fragments of bullets go back and get the gut even with a good hit, the vitals on a pronghorn doe aren't very big.

She was perfectly broadside, and I put it square through the shoulder, about top of the heart, and did not hit any bone on entrance. The wound was quite devastating, however as you can see from the cleaned up picture, meat loss was far less than the exit hole would make you think, the blood shot seen between the rib cage and shoulder on the exit side washed off with water, and was not in the meat. The last picture of the shoulder on the table was essentially all salvaged, with only slight trimming needing done. The lungs were heavily damaged, and the chest cavity full of foamy chunky blood.

She rared up on impact, which I watched, then stumbled about 10 feet forward and hit the dirt. The exit side bone from the scapula to the leg was broke, but it was not hit with the bullet, my guess is that the energy from the bullet passing through broke the bone. The bullet passed in the pocket between that bone and the scapula, and actually didn't hit any bone (other than ribs) on the exit either, just barely missing the scapula, so the damage seen is simply from the bullet, that initiated expansion after passing through the entrance side shoulder and a rib, and came unglued after that. View attachment 210438View attachment 210439View attachment 210440View attachment 210441View attachment 210442View attachment 210443View attachment 210444View attachment 210445View attachment 210446

And of course, some pronghorn tenderloin.....slightly overcooked for my liking! Ha ha.
View attachment 210447

Now I want to try a longer range poke, 600+ or so, and see how they do. Will update with my next harvest. So far with my personal sample of 1, I am happy with these 270's. Lets see if that trend keeps up!
I have a 300RUM that I would like to try these out with. Do you load them like a traditional bullet or do they have special specifications to load?

I don't have any hunting experiences with a 30-06, but lots of experience with that bullet from a 308win with a load that meets or slightly exceeds published 30-06 loads shooting 150 gr lead core bullets. A friend of mine that uses a 30-06 Weatherby Vanguard for which I have loaded the 150 BD2 for him. His results on Deer have been excellent out to about 600 yds but usually within 300-400 yds. No bullet recovery and all shots were 1 shot kills except one.
How does the bullet perform at closer ranges? Say 50-150 yards?

I've shot three whitetail with them under 100 yards. Very happy with the results. Almost zero bloodshot meat which I value when the goal is meat in the freezer. I think impact velocities for me have all been 3300 ft./s and above. I don't have any slower cartridges to test them in right now.

I guess the 2 best examples from hunts I have done. One is a Bush Pig I shot straight on in the head at 40 yds that resulted in complete longitudinal pass through, and a large Coastal Black Bear approximately 600 lbs, with a quartering chest shot that penetrated 32" diagonally from base to apex of the chest and exited the chest to lodge under the pelt at the base of the right side of the neck. Shot was 175 yds. Both bullets were 150 gr Bulldozers hunting bullets. Did recover the bullet from yhe Bear and the petals were fully deployed. Both animals were dead right there.
These beauties are ready for next Saturday, hopefully I can find a home for one or two of them.

View attachment 509977
Talk about performance on game. Here are two extreme examples of performance. The first photos are of two examples of single shot kills on Cape Buffalo using the 375 BD2 300 gr. grain bullet. No follow up shots needed which is almost unheard of. The third pic is an Eland Bull weighing about 2000 lbs killed by a single shot using a 284 BD 145 gr bullet shot from a 28 Nosler. That hunter also shot a second Eland on the same hunt shot through the shoulder humerus bone which is a whole lot tougher than the scapula. Lead core bullets just could not do this. Both hunters are customers of ours. These results surprised me for sure. Excellent examples of high BC copper bullets made out of tough full hard C110 alloy that can take the stresses of high impact velocities and not break up on impact, thus able to penetrate deeply in extremely large animals. The high BC maximizes the impact velocity at all distances. The penetration of these Badlands bullets is very comparable to that of low BC brass solids.

Attachments

• DSC_0520.jpeg
    DSC_0520.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0187.jpeg
    DSC_0187.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7023.png
    IMG_7023.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 54
two examples of single shot kills on Cape Buffalo using the 375 BD2 300 gr. grain bullet. No follow up shots needed which is almost unheard of.
That is quite an impressive achievement. I've only heard of that one other time, and that was a heart shot with a 460 weatherby.

That is quite an impressive achievement. I've only heard of that one other time, and that was a heart shot with a 460 weatherby.
I thought so too. I've hunted a Buff before and usually the client shoots first and the guide then starts blasting away. Mine went 40 yds and layed down then we started blasting, but I knew I'd hit in the heart. I killed it with a 330 Dakota

SO, I have a Browning X-bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26" 1 in 7 twist. Would you guys recommend the 125 BD2 OR the 135 Super BD2?

Thanks

Recent Posts