Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

I'm going to keep working on working up a load for my 25-06 and 95gr BDII. This group here was the best I've gotten, however, as you can see SD is not something to write home about. My rifle is a 1991 Browning Medallion ABolt with a 1:10" twist. I know the BDII specs are for a 1:9" to stabilize, but I'm wondering if anyone here has a similar twist/rifle and has had success with the 95gr BDII?
I used the 95gr BD2 in my 1:10" 25-06, but I was using a much slower powder. ES on the load I hunted with last year was 50fps and produced sub MOA groups in a cheap factory rifle. I'm using the 110gr SBD2 in my 1:7" 25-06AI these days.

I used the 95gr BD2 in my 1:10" 25-06, but I was using a much slower powder. ES on the load I hunted with last year was 50fps and produced sub MOA groups in a cheap factory rifle. I'm using the 110gr SBD2 in my 1:7" 25-06AI these days.
I just bought some IMR4350 to try, as well as ordered another box of 95grainers.

I just bought some IMR4350 to try, as well as ordered another box of 95grainers.
My rifle produced smaller groups with IMR-4831 than IMR-4350, but you may have different results. I was pushing pressure really hard in that barrel. I found light bolt lift at 3499fps in a 22" barrel.

My rifle produced smaller groups with IMR-4831 than IMR-4350, but you may have different results. I was pushing pressure really hard in that barrel. I found light bolt lift at 3499fps in a 22" barrel.
I have about 1/3 of a pound of IMR4831 I can try as well. I have just had bad luck finding IMR4831 near me. This is the first and only bottle I bought in the last two years..

I'm going to keep working on working up a load for my 25-06 and 95gr BDII. This group here was the best I've gotten, however, as you can see SD is not something to write home about. My rifle is a 1991 Browning Medallion ABolt with a 1:10" twist. I know the BDII specs are for a 1:9" to stabilize, but I'm wondering if anyone here has a similar twist/rifle and has had success with the 95gr BDII?
The SD is not a function of the bullet but rather a function of the brass mostly. Your group shows some promise since it looks like 4 of the 5 shots maybe grouped sub-MOA. The photo below shows the stability calculator result given the data you sent. Stability is very marginal. There is a significant difference between a 1:10 vs a 1:9 twist, the latter providing much more stability to the bullet. See second photo. Better stability likely will result in smaller groups. For hunting what really counts is the first and second shot, especially the first which is always a cold bore shot. The other factor is the temperature. If you develop a load in the summer with marginal stability and hunt in the fall or winter where temps could be 50 degrees or more cooler, then stability will be less. The third photo shows what station pressure you need at 32F to have the bullet adequately stabilized (stability factor =1.45 or greater) in winter temps.

Attachments

• IMG_6785.png
    IMG_6785.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6786.png
    IMG_6786.png
    70 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6787.png
    IMG_6787.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Ok after reading as much of this thread as I could I still want to ask a question or two.

Been shooting 127 lrx in a 6 5 saum. 7.5 twist .It's been good on game and very accurate

Do I have to crimp the 125s to get accurate and speed? Seems some do but some don't.

And do I need to switch to a faster powder? I have tons of h1000 and hate to have to find something else. Seems again some do say the monos like faster powders but others say no.

Lastly anyone on here shooting the 125s in a 6.5 saum?

Ok after reading as much of this thread as I could I still want to ask a question or two.

Been shooting 127 lrx in a 6 5 saum. 7.5 twist .It's been good on game and very accurate

Do I have to crimp the 125s to get accurate and speed? Seems some do but some don't.

And do I need to switch to a faster powder? I have tons of h1000 and hate to have to find something else. Seems again some do say the monos like faster powders but others say no.

I am running the 125's in a 6.5 SST which is very close to your SAUM. .020 off the lands is very accurate and I am getting 3213 fps with N565. No crimping but .002 neck tensions (or bullet interference if will) seem ed to work best. I tried .0025 and .003 but did not shoot as well. I hope that helps.

QUESTION: Why do you us human targets? If you are going to war that's one thing, but to hunt game I feel it a different story. Targets that gridded are far better to help in figuring out how you rifle is shooting. I think this is the first target here that's showing a body target. It's probable me, but I don't like that type of target. I am a harden former Combat Vet and probable done my fair share of taking lives in combat. I am one that it never brother me, and I felt it even up the score with the men that was killed. Being a combat medic dealing with the wounded, dying, and the dead.
If you are training to go to war that's a different story. There are reasons for using human target in training soldiers that are going into combat. I have never used human target after getting out of the Army. Teaching young boys in the Boy Scouts, for rifle and Shotgun merit badges never used them. I don't feel we are hunting man here.
Hopefully we never do!
This probable won't go over very good, but other that were in combat will probable agree with me.

QUESTION: Why do you us human targets? If you are going to war that's one thing, but to hunt game I feel it a different story. Targets that gridded are far better to help in figuring out how you rifle is shooting. I think this is the first target here that's showing a body target. It's probable me, but I don't like that type of target. I am a harden former Combat Vet and probable done my fair share of taking lives in combat. I am one that it never brother me, and I felt it even up the score with the men that was killed. Being a combat medic dealing with the wounded, dying, and the dead.
If you are training to go to war that's a different story. There are reasons for using human target in training soldiers that are going into combat. I have never used human target after getting out of the Army. Teaching young boys in the Boy Scouts, for rifle and Shotgun merit badges never used them. I don't feel we are hunting man here.
Hopefully we never do!
This probable won't go over very good, but other that were in combat will probable agree with me.
Looks like a pretty normal paper silhouette target, not offensive in the least bit.

No crimp needed generally.

Badlands pressure a little quicker than c&c bullets usually, so you can actually use slower powders generally.

I personally, am not.

Hopefully we never do!
I was in law enforcement for nine years, so it's a target I am accustomed to and have plenty of for annual handgun qualification. They also come in handy when sighting in a scope/rifle where you aren't sure where the POI will be. I can also get six to nine target areas on this one sheet of paper when doing load development. Also, as I still certify with my handgun annually, I like to practice on the same medium my 'test' will take place on. Even for a self defense standpoint- if you're going to carry to protect yourself or others, train yourself with a semi- realistic target. A bullseye target isn't what's going to mug you, carjack you, or rape a female family member.

Last edited:
You have a reason to be using that type of target. Every been a gun fight? I have somewhere between 35 and 40. Not counting flight time in chopper. Nor time in a tunnel. Most of the time nobody was home in the tunnels. Not all, but I am here so that kind of tell the story.
I realize the reason for those targets. They found in the Army that people won't pull the trigger. They could bunch paper targets, not people. It trained them to shoot the enemy without much though.