Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

Finished the load for my 243 Win. 47.8 grains of Staball 6.5, 3550. 22" barrel, should be hell on Texas whitetail
Have Used the StaBall 6.5 in small rifle primer brass with the 80 gr .243 BD from a 22" Rem ADL and got 3600+ fps. Lead core bullets may not be strong enough to get adequate penetration. Your load is very safe.

Another dead pronghorn at the hands of the 140 .277 bullet......

Distance about 450 yards. Impact about 2550 fps. This bullet is getting rather predictable at this point.

Shooter did not make a proper wind call on first shot, hit back a little, quartering away. Goat turned but stood in place and did not move, there was enough shock from impact that the buck did not run off. Second shot he corrected for wind and made a heart shot, tight to the front of the shoulder, buck dropped in his tracks. Terminal photos -

First shot entrance
View attachment 393856
View attachment 393859

First shot exit
View attachment 393857
View attachment 393858

Second shot entrance
View attachment 393860
View attachment 393862

Second shot exit
View attachment 393861

As per usual, inside showed heavy damage, significant exits with relatively little surrounding blood shot, good expansion characteristics and very dead critters. This is something like 9 or 10 pronghorn, a mule deer and an elk taken with this bullet, and it is doing great, and maintaining the outstanding .333 G7 bc, holding great impact velocity.

Many say you don't want under 1900 fps with a mono......well, even if that is the case, that is fine. At our elevation, even going a relatively slow 3030 from a 19" barrel, this is still going faster than 1900 fps at 1000 yards. Actually it's at 2000 fps, and would be even faster at the high elevations we hunt deer and elk at. It's a killer!
Should get lots of good jerky out of that Antelope. Yummy!!

Have Used the StaBall 6.5 in small rifle primer brass with the 80 gr .243 BD from a 22" Rem ADL and got 3600+ fps. Lead core bullets may not be strong enough to get adequate penetration. Your load is very safe.
Awesome I appreciate it. Any load recommendations for 70 SB2 in a 22 creed? I'm thinking N560 might work well

Awesome I appreciate it. Any load recommendations for 70 SB2 in a 22 creed? I'm thinking N560 might work well
I don't have a 22 Creed, but the way I would suggest to do a load development is to look up the data available in the Hodgdon Annual Manual primarily because they also have pressure data for each powder tested, so you can see which powder gives you the most speed per grain of powder. To me temp stability is important especially if you have to hunt in hot weather.

Jerky?!?!?

Steaks!!!! As long as you process pronghorn properly, they are fantastic eating. Get them dirty, use your hair hand touching meat, wait too long to process them and cool them off, and they get gamey.
Friend of mine also cooked stakes, and you are right. Excellent taste and tender. The jerky he made was superb. I could not stop eating it. We field gutted our Antelopes ad put ice bags immediately in the carcass

My group got some caribou and I got a sheep last week with the 225gr 338. If vitals were hit they worked fine. If not, then follow ups were required. Everything passed through regardless of where the hit was. Interestingly we found all the aluminum tips while processing. All of the shanks were bent. Shots ranged from 75 yards to 250 yards, so nothing very far. Impact velocities of 2700 to 2480. One hit was up in no mans land in front of all the vitals. It was a pass through with little to no expansion.
All the rest had exit holes that ranged from .5" to 2" causing major damage in the exit vicinity. One that knicked the bottom of the heart, I watched all the blood exit the animal in seconds.

We also had a few kills with hammers and performance was very similar.

No animal shot, even with a sub optimal placement, ever went more than a couple yards before it got another in the right spot.

Jerky?!?!?

Steaks!!!! As long as you process pronghorn properly, they are fantastic eating. Get them dirty, use your hair hand touching meat, wait too long to process them and cool them off, and they get gamey.
Antelope is a favorite, LOVE antelope backstrap kabobs!! Why so many antelope hunters drive around with a dead goat in the back of their truck all day then can't figure out why it tastes like crap is beyond me!! When we hunt very far from home base I have a cutting board and folding table, stuff a game lift in the receiver hitch and it's 45 min from dead to deboned, cut and on ice. If closer I throw them in the creek and wash them out and they cool down fast on the drive.

And another goat down to the .277 140!

My cousin harvested his buck, beautiful animal for sure!

signal-2022-09-13-12-09-25-514.jpg

Was only 160 yards, impact velocity of 3050 fps still ha ha. Heart shot, just off shoulder on impact, and just into the shoulder on exit. Still appeared to have significant bloodshot at first, however that is somewhat expected with a 3000+ impact velocity.....

Impact, kind of hard to see, but near the brightest red spot....
123_1(8).jpeg

Exit side
123_1(9).jpeg

123_1(10).jpeg

123_1(11).jpeg

And, what was left of the heart and lungs....
123_1(14).jpeg

123_1(12).jpeg

123_1(13).jpeg

Now, however gruesome this seems, most of the meat was not terribly bloodshot. While the membrane between was riddled with it, once that was scraped/rinsed away, the meat itself was in pretty good shape, and not torn up too bad. The pronghorn went down with authority. Mule deer season opens tomorrow, so guess what may be next!

And another goat down to the .277 140!

My cousin harvested his buck, beautiful animal for sure!

View attachment 394284

Was only 160 yards, impact velocity of 3050 fps still ha ha. Heart shot, just off shoulder on impact, and just into the shoulder on exit. Still appeared to have significant bloodshot at first, however that is somewhat expected with a 3000+ impact velocity.....

Impact, kind of hard to see, but near the brightest red spot....
View attachment 394277

Exit side
View attachment 394278
View attachment 394279
View attachment 394280

And, what was left of the heart and lungs....
View attachment 394281
View attachment 394282
View attachment 394283

Now, however gruesome this seems, most of the meat was not terribly bloodshot. While the membrane between was riddled with it, once that was scraped/rinsed away, the meat itself was in pretty good shape, and not torn up too bad. The pronghorn went down with authority. Mule deer season opens tomorrow, so guess what may be next!
Now that's what I call a heart attack lol 😆!!

Antelope is a favorite, LOVE antelope backstrap kabobs!! Why so many antelope hunters drive around with a dead goat in the back of their truck all day then can't figure out why it tastes like crap is beyond me!! When we hunt very far from home base I have a cutting board and folding table, stuff a game lift in the receiver hitch and it's 45 min from dead to deboned, cut and on ice. If closer I throw them in the creek and wash them out and they cool down fast on the drive.
We hunt mostly in Harding County, SD. Not many creeks available there. We pack large ice bags in large cooler and gut the animal where it was hit, then place the bag in the carcass, and replace it as needed. Meat has always turned out delicious even if deboned a day or so later. Mouth is watering as I write this post.

Has anyone had luck with the Bulldozer-2 140gr 7mm out of an barrel that is 9.5twist? I have a 7 rem mag but I am not sure if they will stable that well in my rifle. It's a 24in barrel.

461029DF-74B5-42CA-87AB-92EEC8B58A1F.jpeg

I harvested this Pronghorn Buck today at 200 yards with my 25-06. I was shooting the 95gr. BD2 with MV of 3550. At this elevation impact velocity at 200 yards was 3217fps and energy was 2183ft*lbs which nearly cut his heart into two pieces.
I was very pleased with the performance of this bullet as the buck expired after a 30 yard sprint and very little meat was lost.
I will provide more descriptive autopsy photos in the coming days.
As noted by many others, the tip was retrieved several inches from the point of impact.

View attachment 396838
I harvested this Pronghorn Buck today at 200 yards with my 25-06. I was shooting the 95gr. BD2 with MV of 3550. At this elevation impact velocity at 200 yards was 3217fps and energy was 2183ft*lbs which nearly cut his heart into two pieces.
I was very pleased with the performance of this bullet as the buck expired after a 30 yard sprint and very little meat was lost.
I will provide more descriptive autopsy photos in the coming days.
As noted by many others, the tip was retrieved several inches from the point of impact.
Very nice buck, congratulations. I got some of those same bullets to try in my factory remington 257 Robert's. Thank you for the report.