Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

The last three charges had minor powder crunch. I think I could squeak out a little more speed with RE-26 but I don't see any point. I don't like the idea of shooting beyond 800 yards on game animals and that bullet will be flat out movin at 800 yards still. Now I just gotta find the accuracy and send a few through some critters
The badlands will kill well past 800. Granted I was shooting a bullet 100 grains heavier, but I had full penetration on a moose with the super BD II at 950.

Well I found my load. 74.6 gr H-4831 with .020" jump (recommended by Badlands) and it shot two groups at 707 yards that were WELL under half moa. Gotta run some over the chrono as my barrel seems to have sped up, but should be somewhere near 3,200 fps. Ish. If only I could post video of the shots so you guys could see

Well I found my load. 74.6 gr H-4831 with .020" jump (recommended by Badlands) and it shot two groups at 707 yards that were WELL under half moa. Gotta run some over the chrono as my barrel seems to have sped up, but should be somewhere near 3,200 fps. Ish. If only I could post video of the shots so you guys could see
WTG! Why can't you post a video (i.e., a YouTube link)?

Did a gel test on the 7mm 150 BD-2 at hyper velocity. As you can see, the bullet pretty much came apart at the front at these speeds. It began to open up at about 2". Small pieces splintered off pretty much the whole way through the wound channel with one squirting out the bottom of the block at about 5". The tip was in the block about 4". This is consistent with what Jason told me he thought it would do at those speeds. And it also explains why the one deer that was hit in the heart broadside at 300 yds last year had a hole coming out the front brisket and also a hole in the stomach. Pieces fly off in all directions. Also, the first photo of impact shows the expansion of the wound cavity. As you see, the first 16" (first block) is the most, but it continues pretty much the whole way through the second block. Translating that to an animal, a large deer might have a chest width of about 10" behind the shoulders. That is not nearly enough cavity to absorb this much cavitation, which explains why both deer we shot last year had both shoulders dislocated even though the impacts were broadside through the heart/lung area. Penetration on this test was 36". I think it would have been more if it hadn't curved down into the table – traveled through the end grain of the plywood table a little before bouncing back up into the last block about 4"… George told me they have fellas doing Texas heart shots on moose and elk with the bullet coming out the front end. I can believe that based on what we were seeing. Get the speed down a little, the bullet would stay together more.

We left the plastic wrapping lay under the blocks, which was a mistake. Kind of made a mess flying in the air when the 1st block when flipping off. So here goes:

7 Allen Mag (338 Lapua Improved case necked down to 7mm)
106 gr RL33 powder
150 gr solid copper Badlands Bulldozer-2 (G7 0.309)
3,700 fps @ muzzle
Gel blocks at 25 yds
Penetration: 36"

* Shot a 139 Scenar from our 6.5x284 into the other end of the last gel block then. Perfect performance but 14" penetration vs 36". :)

(We want to do a rerun sometime and see if we can get it better. Haven't gotten the vid edited down to size yet.)

Attachments

• 7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-2.jpg
    7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-4.jpg
    7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-4.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-5.jpg
    7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-5.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-7.jpg
    7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-7.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-8.jpg
    7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-8.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-9.jpg
    7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-9.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-10.jpg
    7mm 150BD-2 Gel Test-10.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 109
Couldn't attach more than 10 photos. Here's the 6.5x284 with the 139 Scenar.
14" penetration
See the 7mm 150 Badlands in the bottom right corner coming from the other end after having passed through 2 other gel blocks and through a little bit of plywood...

Attachments

• 6.5x284 139 Scenar Gel Test.jpg
    6.5x284 139 Scenar Gel Test.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 68
At what velocity does the Bulldozer start to lose petals? I've got a BD-2 load that is around 3450fps and another at 3290fps. I've not used them on any critters yet, but just drew a Wyoming cow elk tag and would like to know at what range I could expect fragmentation. I had a jacketed bullet explode at 100 yards on an elk last year and didn't appreciate how much meat loss there was. I was hoping to achieve something with the BD-2 that was more similar to the results that Cody shared earlier on in this thread.

At what velocity does the Bulldozer start to lose petals? I've got a BD-2 load that is around 3450fps and another at 3290fps. I've not used them on any critters yet, but just drew a Wyoming cow elk tag and would like to know at what range I could expect fragmentation. I had a jacketed bullet explode at 100 yards on an elk last year and didn't appreciate how much meat loss there was. I was hoping to achieve something with the BD-2 that was more similar to the results that Cody shared earlier on in this thread.
Monos tend to not ruin meat the way a lead core bullet does. Even though they may shed petals, they aren't explosive the way lead cores can be. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are, just stay off the shoulder inside 300 yards or so and you should be fine