bad reaming from factory

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that they contract there repair work out to certain gunsmiths. I don't remember where I read it.
What's the odds that they will ship the gun back to me per my request?

I had a LR in 300 win mag that stuck cases, and another rifle from Remington recently wih your exact issue, still waiting for that rifle to come back(its been 6 months) The rifle I had with the sticking cases issue had a huge bur in the chamber, and they told me it was my reloading practices after I continued to tell them it was factory ammo. I ended up paying my gunsmith to set the barrel back a turn, bought a reamer and had him fix it so I would not wait. I will NEVER BUY from Remington again, PERIOD. Their QC sucks, and they don't seem to care about it at all. Both rifles where brand new, and just getting them to try and warranty them was way more of a hassle then just paying to get them fixed. So I buy savage now. I also had a action I bought from them with raceway issues, brand new from Remington and they did not replace it. So I own a 400 dollar paperweight because my gunsmith will not use it. To say they don't care about customers is a HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!

Kasey Field

i had this exact thing happen to me on a brand new Remington CDL SF in 7mm Mag. I sent it back because i could see a burr above the belt and had stuck cases and some nasty gouges in the fired cases. Set it back two months later i got it back. Took it out and the cases still stuck! All they did was burnish out the burr which seemed to make the problem worse. So called my gunsmith. He took the barrel off and threw it in the lathe. come to find out the chamber had a ridiculous amount of run out. Called Remington told them what my smith found and they said send it back. 2 months later i received a completely new barrel/action with my original stock. I paid $930 for this rifle and its the last dime Remington will ever receive from me on a new rifle. From now on if i want a remington I'm buying old ones

I had a badly reamed barrel on a m700 lss lh 7rum years ago; the thing actually broke three die sets (oversized brass split the sizing dies) before I sent it back to them. Since it would fire factory ammo without blowing up they sent it back without working on it.
Needless to say I am much more cautious with them now. I have bought a few new remmy's since then, but now that they have the limited left hand offerings that they have (and I have a local 'smith that is reasonable cost wise while still turning out good work) I think I'll be re-barreling my current actions with Shilen barrels instead of buying new rifles.

I had a badly reamed barrel on a m700 lss lh 7rum years ago; the thing actually broke three die sets (oversized brass split the sizing dies) before I sent it back to them. Since it would fire factory ammo without blowing up they sent it back without working on it.
Needless to say I am much more cautious with them now. I have bought a few new remmy's since then, but now that they have the limited left hand offerings that they have (and I have a local 'smith that is reasonable cost wise while still turning out good work) I think I'll be re-barreling my current actions with Shilen barrels instead of buying new rifles.

Better take a hard look at Bartlien tubes.....bub....:D

How you doing btw???

Something I find interesting is I oftem wonder just how many shooters actually have the tools to look inside a tube and really see whats going on....

Sidecarflip,

Think you are on to something. Around Tucson there are not many who can look inside a bore. I asked many gunsmiths in my area and only one has a borescope. Go figure.

One gunsmith said if the new aftermarket barrel won't shoot we pull it and use another......

I must have gotten lucky. I love my 2 R/700's. One is 2 yrs old the other 5 and they both shoot great. But you guys have me thinking about the third.

I have purchased quite a few Rem takeoff barrels and two new Rems in the last 5 yrs. Haven't found a single bad barrel. I know because I scope them. As to any flaws in the chambers didn't see anything BUT I always rechamber them with my reamers. Reamers remove all remnants of old chamber.

243 become 6-284
7mm Rem mag becomes 7-375 Ruger
300 win mag becomes 300 RUM

Have had some fantastically accurate rifles from those takeoffs.

Better take a hard look at Bartlien tubes.....bub....:D

How you doing btw???

Something I find interesting is I often wonder just how many shooters actually have the tools to look inside a tube and really see whats going on....
My brother has got a thing for Brux lately.... he's got two rifles getting Brux pipes. I just had my 7stw done with a Shilen barrel over the summer and she's shooting very well. I think all of the aftermarket barrels are a serious step up from factory, and Shilen are available for sale without a wait.

How am I doing? :D Alright I think, but I'm too busy working to get out hunting/shooting as much as I want to... 70'ish hours a week working puts a mild damper on your free time.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.