Bad Practice and Frustration

Dave King

What things do you all believe are NOT good in the way of practice(s). I'll put a few of mine on top to get this lit-off.

Using equipment that is less accurate/precise than the shooter! I find this very frustrating and counter productive.

Practice onto a non-individual round feedback target system... as examples - shooting into a berm, shooting onto steel that's already obliterated, shooting large single use targets (balloons, water jugs, etc)

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

I have to agree with S1 for his #'s 2,3,4 for the average guy wanting to practice shooting, just to keep in the rythm of things. These 3 things are key....
I have been graced with the ability to be a naturally good shot but for me to actually become a great shot took alot of practice with those 3 issues. It is one thing to cover 3 shots at 100 yards with a quarter. It is another thing to put 5 shots into a dime......

Lets add acouple more here.

1. Not having your eye centered in the scope the "SAME" EACH shot. My wife is guilty of this sometimes.

2. Having the rifle canted and not level from shot to shot.

3. Not preparing brass correctly before entering a match.

These are some other items to think about before a match "or hunting" that are very perplexing an unrewarding if not done correctly.
smile.gif

Later
DC

Cleaning the barrel while testing loads for accuracy. Or worse in my mind, finding a good accurate load, getting the scope zeroed in, then going home and cleaning the barrel good before taking it hunting.

I've seen too many first shots come out of a clean barrel and be 3-5" off at 100 yards.

All of the above, and breaking and following through with "every" shot when it's done less than perfect, complete waste of time. Perfect practice only makes perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts