Backpack hunting & meat hauling

I like my Stone Glacier backpack ... very versatile with the different options + loads VERY well up to 90 lbs (that's as far as I've loaded her up for now ...) ...

I have the Terminus and the Approach ... and take out both ... the goal is to leave the terminus on Site with all my gear included + do meat hauling with the Approach to the car, and return for the Terminus.

Quality is really good on the backpack and very comfortable ... but that's my opinion so ...

My opinion also----the Stone Glacier systems are outstanding. Designed by a hard core hunter who knows what he is doing and what is needed. So far this year, its packed three deer and one cow elk. Super versatile and comfortable. And MADE in the USA.

Randy

Its currently deer season in Oregon, and this year I really got into backpack hunting. I have been looking at all sorts of bags, Kirafu, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock...etc. I haven't decided yet, but wanted to share a pleasant surprise. I have an older snowboard pack that was designed to carry a snowboard sideways. This looked like its design could possibly haul some meat out of the woods, so it got loaded with hunting gear for the season. Well this morning I shot a little meat buck and hauled it out in the pack. Total weight on the pack was 125.6 lbs. I was impressed especially because this pack was not intended to carry even close to that much weight. Obviously not the most comfortable, but definitely doable. Speaks well of DAKINE backpacks although I don't have to much use for snowboard bags any more....priorities kinda change as you age.

O yeah, the bag model is a DAKINE Poacher.....And yes I had a tag and no the deer was not poached.

If anyone has recommendations or experience on a good backpack choice for heavy loads let me know I'm in the market and trying to decide.

Good work!! haha most deer/pigs shot in NZ are carried out 'pikau' style. just tie their legs together and carry.
have carried out a 220lb red stag this way luckily it was only a couple of hundred meters till we could get a 4wheela to it. some guys carry massive loads like this for kms!

Attachments

• IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 92
Kifaru Bikini or Hualer frame and the bag that best suits your needs. If not a Kifaru the the Stone Glacier. Check the weight and the aftermarket load lifters on the MR nice frame. Mystery Ranch is heavy and needs aftermarket parts to make it comparable to the kifaru and Stone Glacier. Nothing helps with the weight. All three are American made and top quality.

X2 on a lot of blaze orange. Hunting in CA you would have been fired on so much you would have thought you were in Afghanistan.

I got lots of games out by using the kids snowsled - plastic one. Just quarter the game and is easy to get it out. I got a huge cow elk in 6 trips. Easy to drag behind you and downhill it's come along without effort.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.