Back from vacation, broken freezer, smelly garage.

Bob Wright

So back from a visit in Payson AZ and we noticed an odor. Oh boy. Game, fish, a turkey, brisket, prime rib slices from Christmas, rolls of dough all exploded...
Today I reduced that goo into smoldering hot embers. The garbage company long gone this morning, that was the only thing I could think of. Scrap 2x4's, a 55 gallon drum, holes for air and then shovel full after shovel full of the stinky contents. All day job.
Time for a whiskey.

Attachments

• 20210319_130143.jpg
    20210319_130143.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
Just looked at freezer temp monitors. A few different choices, but inexpensive.
I always crack up at the descriptions of the units online. You know these are foreign made, lol...

I had a large chest freezer in my garage at a house I was renting the only power in the whole garage was on a light switch. My land lords still had some stuff in the attic and were in the process of moving it all out. Me and the wife went to Mexico the end of May for a week and they finished moving stuff while we were gone. Needless to say after a long week of partying on the beach and a horrible flight home I could smell the rancid meat from the driveway. I held my breath and unlocked the door to find the switch was off. I flipped it on and a few days later had a new freezer delivered. Paid the delivery guys $50 each to haul it off. It froze back so the smell wasn't bad. Lost 3/4 of an elk, a fallow deer, lots of hamburger and steaks I just got from a cow my dad had butchered. I was sick from all the meat I lost and the smell at first.

I had a large chest freezer in my garage at a house I was renting the only power in the whole garage was on a light switch. My land lords still had some stuff in the attic and were in the process of moving it all out. Me and the wife went to Mexico the end of May for a week and they finished moving stuff while we were gone. Needless to say after a long week of partying on the beach and a horrible flight home I could smell the rancid meat from the driveway. I held my breath and unlocked the door to find the switch was off. I flipped it on and a few days later had a new freezer delivered. Paid the delivery guys $50 each to haul it off. It froze back so the smell wasn't bad. Lost 3/4 of an elk, a fallow deer, lots of hamburger and steaks I just got from a cow my dad had butchered. I was sick from all the meat I lost and the smell at first.
That's horrible!

We had a stand up freezer outback with small mammals and birds that we saving while learning taxidermy. One day, my buddy walked by and saw a black juicy puddle coming out of it, yeah it wasn't frozen anymore. Lol. I think Im gonna have one of those whiskeys right now for ya. Lol. Rough way to start your weekend...

That's horrible!
It was. They offered to give me money but It was an elderly couple and that was there only income. I have an electrician friend and told them I would split the cost with them if they let me wire the place up. He got the supplies whole sale and we wired the entire garage with lights and everything for like $500. They said to just take what they owed me off the rent but I knew they couldn't afford it so I just paid the regular. They passed away a couple years later and the worthless grand kid they had been raising since he was born wouldn't sell me the house for what they offered it to me for (in writing) before there deaths so I moved out and the house was on the market for almost 7 years with no up keep and kids breaking windows the mold got so bad he had to get it dozed down and cleaned up. He later sold the lots for $5k when I offered him 115k for the house. I later found out he owed nearly $5k in taxes on it since he never paid a dime since his inheritance.

Not much worse than a dead freezer. This fall the father in law was in hospital for about a week. Brought him home and found it. Luckily it wasn't too big and wasn't packed full. I just strapped the doors shut and got it loaded. Brought it to our place and about 5 gal of diesel and just burnt the whole thing lol.