Back from elk hunt

Red Sparky

What a rush! First year bow hunting and the rush is still with me. Did not get an elk but was amazing. Had a bobcat walk by at 5 yards and never know I was there. Called a cow into 20 yards at sunrise but had a Blue Spruce between me and her for a 15 minute stand off and she never knew what I was. Sat in a herd of feeding elk for an hour with a yearling coming in 30 yards behind me and the rest of the herd 60-100 yards away. Had 3 cows come into a water tank at 60 yards and kept looking east while I was SE with the wind in my face. They spooked and 20 minutes later had a black bear come into the water 40 yards away. Had 10 mule deer, 3 bucks, 35 yards away for about 20 minutes until they busted me. The only animals that did the whole trip. Watched 3 coyotes for an hour from 10-50 yards. Wasn't going to shoot a $10 broad head and $10 Carbon Express when I can go back in with my .17 HMR.

So I have a year of shooting to keep me occupied and hopefully the draw will be good to me next year. Can only cross my fingers and hope.

Be careful, you're sounding like a true bow hunter with this thread. :)

Isn't it great getting so close to all those animals? Some of my best and most memorable hunts have nothing to do with shooting something. Watching the snot drip from an angry bulls nose when he doesn't know you're there is a rush. I've learned a whole lot more about how to hunt by watching animals up close than I ever do when I shoot them.

Hope you get your draw next year.

I have a Replay XD clipped on my hat and that is why the mule deer busted me, reaching up to turn it on. I was hunting east of AZ, west of TX, south of CO and north of Mexico.

Sounds like a great hunt. It's always fun seeing lots of game. One of best hunts I can remember is one where I kept seeing bulls and all I had was a cow tag. Figures, lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.