Utah cow elk hunt- skunked

Buffalobob

Here is how things went for 2011. I left home on August 14 and returned home on October 19. The first hunt was for cow elk.

The weather on the Manti La Sal at 9K feet was wonderful . I got my camp set up in the same place as last year and the evening before opening day I found a large herd of elk. I quit counting at 80 animals!

Opening morning all elk had disappeared but around 8:00 I had three cows drinking water at 83 yards. I used my shooting stick to brace the bow and made the shot. Arrow went about 3-6 inches left and hit the shoulder bone of the cow and buried up about ½ inch in the bone. The cow shook her leg and the arrow dropped out. The only other shot I tried was at 40 yards and I managed to wound a 10 inch aspen and lose a $6 broad head to the aspen. I saw elk most days and just never seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

I also had a archery deer tag and shot over a small buck at 30 yards being as I have no pin set for 30 yards and never practice at those kinds of close ranges!
I had a lot of fun and will certainly do it again next year.

Here are a few pictures taken at my camp. The meadow flowers were in bloom and a family of kestrels hunted the meadow for songbirds.

Attachments

• DSC00872.JPG
    DSC00872.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00875.JPG
    DSC00875.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC00882.JPG
    DSC00882.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 144
Bob,
Hate it when that happens. Glad you got to see ELK -a-plenty, and did have a good safe trip. Going is going, but seeing is a better deal. Scoring will resume in the bottom of the 6th. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.