Attempting 1 Mile With Mosin-Nagant Vid

mdslammer

I filmed my buddy Ivan shooting his Mosin-Nagant at 1 mile.
Though he never hit steel, he comes very close. Considering the limited power of his scope
and elevation on the rifle, I thought it to be a great effort.

I know he was a disappointed not to ring the steel but all things taken
into consideration, a job well done. I know he'll be up for trying again.
Anyway, just thought I'd post it up for those who might be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great effort with quite the antique.

I'd like to see a calculation on how much energy remains with that round at that range. I bet it's getting close to the point of having barely enough energy to knock out a rabbit without even penetrating the skin HA! gun)

I'd like to see a calculation on how much energy remains with that round at that range. I bet it's getting close to the point of having barely enough energy to knock out a rabbit without even penetrating the skin HA! gun)

Good question. I don't know that I would like to be on the receiving end even
at a mile down range in any case...:D

Hi guys

Thanks for the comments; we had fun doing this, even if the results were disappointing, as far as ringing the steel. Below is a description of our day, I wrote this before Mark was done editing the video; I wasn't really sure of what it was going to look like, as the only reports I had were the ones I could see through the PU, which comes a bit short to really see what is going on at a mile.
I knew my reloads were accurate at 500 meters but that's as far as I ever tested the 52.5 gr of Accurate 4350. I did shoot the rifle successfully at 960 yards but it was with 44.6 gr of Varget, which I am now saving for my .308's (got a Tac Ops on the way, got to feed her the good stuff).
Anyway, here it is:

Haven't checked for a while what's going on in the MN world but here is a small contribution of keeping the fun alive :thumbup:
Short report, my buddy was filming, so the video should be available within a few days, once he is done editing.
Yesterday (1/21/14), Jean (next to dry lake bed), NV, 0800 h.
Rifle: 1943 Mosin-Nagant sniper.
Scope: 1943 PU, original.
Mods: Not much, brass/cork shims, sanded inside lower hand guard to give a bit more room to barrel/shims, slightly bent trigger spring to reach about 3.5 lbs trigger pull.
Ammo: Reloads.
Powder: 52.5 gr of Accurate 4350.
Primer: Federal (regular).
Bullet: Sierra 174 gr BTHP (.311 diameter,.303 cal)
Rifle slugged at .313.
As we were going to shoot a mile with our .338's LM (SAC and TRG42), I also took my '43 Tula sniper PU, just for the hell of it.
Shooting conditions were great (no wind). Targets were set up at 1555 yards and one mile; the furthest I ever shot the MN was 960 yards, before yesterday.
The goal was a mile, the 1555 was in case a mile would be too far. I actually wanted the first target closer (1300 yards) but our FFP did not give us a visual before 1555; too many bushes, we were shooting prone.
outstandingly :thumbdown: (should know better), didn't take note of all details but will do so next time, as I intend to do this again; so this is what I recall.
Started at 1555, didn't touch windage (0), 13 elevation. Looked at the target through the PU...and could't see it (ground and backdrop were light beige sand, not enough contrast). Target was metal silhouette 15"x24", painted white with red circle in middle. Went back to target and painted it orange fluo; back to FFP, now I could see it. First 3 shots were short but not too bad, played with elevation a bit (had some left after 13), finally got on target and grazed the holding pole twice but not the target; impacts were a few inches low but real close, windage was dead on, it was time for a mile shot . As I only had 17 rounds left (started wit 23 reloads that I made a while ago), once I realized the 1555 was doable repetitively, I switched to a mile; after all, this was the final goal.
Had to max out PU, took a shot...and was short of about 30 yards or more; the one mile target was a 24"x30" metal silhouette and due to the location, I could see this one, even though it was painted white. Amazingly, it was possible, most of the times, to see the dust report of the shots hitting the sand; I would have never thought that could be possible with the 3.5 PU but there it was. Also had 2 spotters to help (spotting scope and camera), a must in that case.
As PU was maxed out, I started using several bushes located above the target, as aiming points. Wind started to pick up some but still low. The crappy part was the post being so thick, it was covering the target, when aiming at the bushes but by the time the bullet reached the target (few seconds), I had plenty of time to move the rifle/scope to re-acquire a decent visual on target itself.
Did I managed to hit the target at a mile with my remaining 16 rounds...no...but it came so darn close many times, talking a foot or two, sometimes a bit more; darn this was frustrating...but awesome :thumbup: .
I hope the video will turn out good; it was a fun day. I will shoot again at 1555 yards but will make it the primary goal, as a mile is...a bit too far. Now, would I stand in front of an original MN sniper PU at a mile? Hell no! Anything able to hit that close to a target will send me right down to the next ditch :lol:

That's all folks :wave:

Wildrose

Thanks man; yeah, I wish I would have done better but...
Not sure at a mile but 2 rounds grazed the metal pole of target located at 1555 and left a strong autograph on metal. Rabbit would be KIA, as well as something much bigger.
I am not good at calculating rounds remaining energy at any distances but between you and I, no way I would stand in front of that bullet at a mile. On the vid, we can hear the bullet of that first shot hitting the ground behind the target and it doesn't sound friendly.
Wish some old Russian snipers could brief us on some of their ELR shots in WWII, betcha they have some good info on how that round behaves at extended range, even if they were shooting with Red Army issued ammo :)

2400 sounds about right. Or maybe slightly low. I'm shooting right at 2400 in mine also. The gun has a real sweet spot there. My load right now is a 174 SMK over 42.5 grains of Varget, set .002" off the lands. I have some H 4350 to try, but I hear IMR4350 is the best powder for accuracy and speed out of these babies. Getting a lot of reports of a node around 2700 which supposedly the IMR 4350 is getting to.

Again, great job and thanks for sharing.

2400 sounds about right. Or maybe slightly low. I'm shooting right at 2400 in mine also. The gun has a real sweet spot there. My load right now is a 174 SMK over 42.5 grains of Varget, set .002" off the lands. I have some H 4350 to try, but I hear IMR4350 is the best powder for accuracy and speed out of these babies. Getting a lot of reports of a node around 2700 which supposedly the IMR 4350 is getting to.

Again, great job and thanks for sharing.

That's good info too, will look into this.

Thanks

Wildrose

Thanks man; yeah, I wish I would have done better but...
Not sure at a mile but 2 rounds grazed the metal pole of target located at 1555 and left a strong autograph on metal. Rabbit would be KIA, as well as something much bigger.
I am not good at calculating rounds remaining energy at any distances but between you and I, no way I would stand in front of that bullet at a mile. On the vid, we can hear the bullet of that first shot hitting the ground behind the target and it doesn't sound friendly.
Wish some old Russian snipers could brief us on some of their ELR shots in WWII, betcha they have some good info on how that round behaves at extended range, even if they were shooting with Red Army issued ammo :)
I think you're missing my point. The maximum effective range of that round is about 700yds. By the time it's gone the additional 1,000 plus yards it's been subsonic for nearly half it's total flight. That you managed to get it as close as you did is a near miracle.

Congrats.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.