Athlon?

Tex:

Good post. You are right on in your assessment of the interrelations of required X and image quality. For shots on big game, for myriad reasons, I prefer the lowest X possible; of course, the better the glass, the lower X you can be comfortable with.

If budget is at all a concern, I haven't come across better values than the SWFA offerings. Their HD series offers way better glass than the price range suggests, and they are known for top quality ruggedness. I can't help but feel that a lot of guys I see at the range with mid to lower tier, high X range scopes would be much better served by the SWFA 3-9, or even thier 6x. Use the money saved on ammo.
How do you buy a SWFA? They are never in stock.

Vortex high end scope are made in Barneveld, WI.USA. I worked on the job site when the manufacturing plant was being built. My son owns the engineering company that did the engineering for the HVAC for this project. I am really pleased with the Vortex scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars that my family uses made by Vortex.
Made in USA for us by American workers.
Hope this answers some ?
Lou
73B7E702-935D-4DBF-805A-6421B311D3BC.jpeg

Attachments

• 9614C3A4-61E3-4A5A-A650-1979D033ED31.jpeg
    9614C3A4-61E3-4A5A-A650-1979D033ED31.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 47
Vortex high end scope are made in Barneveld, WI.USA. I worked on the job site when the manufacturing plant was being built. My son owns the engineering company that did the engineering for the HVAC for this project. I am really pleased with the Vortex scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars that my family uses made by Vortex.
Hope this answers some ?
LouView attachment 341777

Only the AMG and that new squad weapons optic is. Everything else is made in China, Philippines, or Japan.

Hope this answers some ?
LouView attachment 341777

I will say that I met with their endorsement / sales team at a match and they are 100% awesome people. We even met them at dinner later that night. Just extremely chill and willing to listen to your input about scopes. We mostly talked about the genIII though since they let me and my shooting partner play with it the day before the match. They are 100% customer focused which is pretty cool.

I own 3 . A Midas Tac , Ares 8-32 gen 2, and a 1-10 Ares on my Grendel "pistol". I like them very well. I've not had a chance to stretch the legs in any of them , but they move like they should, hold zero very well, and clarity is better than their price point. Whats not to love , other than their country of origin. But these days , its hard to find anything that's made at home thats doesn't cost too much for me to enjoy this sport . Its either shoot something I can afford that works or just listen to stories from those with deeper pockets .

Hi-Lux is coming out with a precision scope in June. Top of the line Japanese glass. I love HiLux and owner Chris Wu is great. Don't let the name fool you. Chris is as American as apple pie. He's full of knowledge and lives for making his scopes better. He's a PR shooter. For the ones who don't know Hi-Lux or Leatherwood lines. I'm telling you you need to give one a try. I don't think you will be disappointed. No I don't work for them LOL.

Attachments

• 08D20ABE-3FEC-41E5-8FDE-831A245F5D56.png
    08D20ABE-3FEC-41E5-8FDE-831A245F5D56.png
    313.1 KB · Views: 61
Somewhat of a thread rabbit hole, but there have been plenty of responses about Athlon, and more learning is more better:

@gunplt : which Swampfox model do you have and how does it compare in your personal scope lineup in terms of tracking and glass?
Rabbit hole; fair enough. Swampfox: as a vet I get a 30% discount & on holidays like 4th of July, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, they have additional discounts so I have bought a few of their products. When I was pleased with the performance I bought more. As this is a LR Hunting forum I'll stick with that. I have 2 Warhawk 5-25X56 MOA and a 5-30X56 & 2-12X44 MOA Kentucky Long. The Kentucky Longs are nice but the Warhawks are really something special. I was having trouble seeing 30 cal holes in the target @ 200 yards during load development with the 5-30 Kentucky Long. I installed the Warhawk on the rifle and was pleasantly surprised to find that I could easily see the groups at 200 yards. Later I took the same rifle (300 PRC) to shoot at 1 mile and realized after I finished shooting that I had not even changed the magnification off the initial setting of 12X. I would say the Warhawk's glass is better than the Cronus (you can see chromatic aberrations around the outer edge of the Cronus). I can't seem to see much difference between the Warhawk and the ATACR or B25. So from a glass perspective is seems pretty good. It has the same elevation and windage specs. as the ATACR. I haven't done a box test on them but I used a Kestrel and the load development data for the 1 mile shooting and dialed it and hit the 1 mile target on the 2nd shot, and multiple shots that day, so I would say the tracking is pretty precise. Overall I am very pleased with the Warkawks. I bought them for less than my Arkens ($450-$550) and they have performed every bit as well as my ATACR & USO B25 which were both more that $3K at the time I purchased them. The only problem with Swampfox's precision optics is you can't get them anymore. I have been trying to get another Warhawk for the better part of 2 years to no avail. It's worse than looking for magnum primers.

I bought 8 Aries BTR 4 1/2–27 MIL when they used the heavy grease for $380/ea NIB out the door. I called Athlons engineer who said the only difference between the Gen #1 & #2 was a small part was changed from brass to stainless & the grease. I love the Christmas tree retical. I wanted the 50mm tube as my guns were set up for that. I couldn't be happier.