Athlon scopes?

Braaten

Hi I'm new to this site and long range shooting. Looking at a new scope and was wondering if anyone knows much about Athlon scopes. Looking at the Argos in particular.

I bought a house unexpectedly last year (the one that the wife always said if it came up for sale she wanted) after spending all my savings a couple years before to buy a house without having to finance. I had build back up enough savings for 20% down on a mortgage, but needed to do a little bit of work on the house. Which lead to selling several nightforces and razor gen IIs. To keep shooting I grabbed a few athlon argos scopes. They aren't on the same level as the scopes I had before but they do seem to function fine.

I have a couple 8-34 and a few 6-24 now. I would recommend the 6-24 for longer range shooting, more elevation and the 8-34 gets a little fuzzy at the highest mag anyways.

Same question I've been asking. Looked at them at a gun show this weekend, comparing the Midas BTR directly with a Viper Gen2 PST 5-25x50. They look good, and if you're on a budget of under $600 I'd say they're a great deal. But they don't have the features of the Viper, and although very good probably not the same image quality. But the Viper IS $400 more, a 40% difference. Then I looked through a Sig Saurer Tango 6 and my eyes popped out. But that's over $2K.

Follow up...A guy next to me at the gun show said he had 2 Argos and was looking at buying a 3rd, telling me how good they are. Then he looked through the Viper. Within 10 minutes he was buying the Viper, asking the dealer if he could split it between 2 credit cards. Seriously. Meanwhile, I had passed up a NF SVH 5-20x56, did one lap around the gunshow floor mulling it over for 10 minutes, went back to buy it and a guy was counting out hundreds for it. It was the only one on the floor so I diverted to the Viper and Athlon booth. These decisions are killing me! :rolleyes:

I have mounted quite a few of these here in the last month for some clients. I personally find the clarity of the glass better than the Vortex. They seem to be a quality built scope and they seem to track and return to zero easily and consistently. I can't say that about Vortex Viper line of optics.

I have two argos, two ares, and a cronus. The Argos are good starter scopes for around a $330 street price. They'll get you shooting that's for sure. The Ares and Cronus are truly a step above though. The ares blows the Vortex HST/PST out of the water with image quality, tracking, and features. Its also about 400 cheaper than the Gen II PSTs. The Cronus is $600 cheaper then the Razors and is just as good if not better in image quality and features. If you want a argos, glass is good, has a lot of additional features, and it tracks true to its click values/ its repeatable. It wont compete with higher end vortexes, NF, etc. But you do get a lot for a $300-$400 optic.

And the Midas BTR? If the price ladder is any indication of image quality one would think it is a couple steps up from the Argos. Ares is FFP so naturally more money just for that. Wondering what the image quality is in comparison. Any firsthand experience?

And the Midas BTR? If the price ladder is any indication of image quality one would think it is a couple steps up from the Argos. Ares is FFP so naturally more money just for that. Wondering what the image quality is in comparison. Any firsthand experience?

The Midas is an Ares but not in FFP. That's the only real difference I believe. Midas is a hunting model and the ares is PRS / tactical style shoots.

Midas specs:

60 MOA Elevation and wind age
  • High definition glass
  • Illuminated, etched glass reticle
  • Fully multi-coated optics with XPL coated lenses
  • Heat treated, one piece 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube
  • Side adjustment parallax
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
  • Argon purged tube

• Ares specs:
  • 100 MOA elevation and wind age
  • HD glass
  • Illuminated, first focal plane reticle
  • Advanced fully multi-coated optics
  • Precision zero stop system
  • High precision erector system
  • One piece, aircraft grade aluminum tube construction
  • Argon purged for waterproof and fog proof performance
  • Shockproof

Last edited by a moderator:
HD doesn't mean high definition. It means high density meaning multiple layers of glass to give a sharper image. Don't know why people say High definition. That's a correction from my previous post.

I have two Athlon Ares that are in my cart on Amazon...one max power is 32 the other 24...only $20 difference but I just don't know if 32 power is necessary?!?!

I plan to pull the trigger on one mid December so I can work with it during Christmas break.

As of today I don't plan to try a shot over 600yds on my Aoudad hunt in January but if I can figure out the "dial in" thing I might push that back a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.