Athlon Cronus spotter

No experience with the Athlon, but the Razor sucks. I bought one without looking through it and sold it a month later. Don't waste your time with them

No experience with the Athlon, but the Razor sucks. I bought one without looking through it and sold it a month later. Don't waste your time with them

What was it about the Razor that you didn't like? I have little experience with spotting scopes so the more information the better.

The glass is not very clear. Mine was a Gen 1 50mm. It was so hazy that it was almost pointless to even have it. I have some 15x56 Meoptas that would show more detail and were better at judging animals than that spotter was. Maybe the new ones are better, but from the reviews I have seen and the number of used ones for sale, I suspect not.

I just might have to go out to Cabelas and try looking through a bunch, problem is that I don't think that they have any of these! Pretty sure they primarily have the larger units but I'm gonna check out what they have and I know that they will let you take them outside and look through them!

Personally, if I was looking for a 50mm spotter, I would save up and get the Kowa TSN-553. I believe that a spotter is one area that you need to put more money into in order to maximize the benefit you will get out of having it

The Athlon is a very good quality spotter and in it's price range the best option in a compact spotter
I just purchased a pair of Athlon 8 x 42 binoculars to carry on board my truck since I do not want to expose my Swarovski and Zeiss binoculars to danger. They only cost $237 with tax and I am amazed at the quality. This is my only experience with Athlon, but so far it's a very good one.

50mm spotters are at best, a backpackers tool. Unless you are packing in really far, I'd look at for at least a 65mm. If your a truck glasser, go 80mm+.

Anyone have any experience with these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015EKWIQ4/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a spotting scope and this one is caught my eye,
a little more magnification than the Razor or the Nikon ed50 which are similar.
I have the
Athlon Optics , Ares , Spotting Scope , 15-45 x 65 ED and it has served me well especiallyfor the price. It is latest model. Glass it clear and resolution is good. It is not a Swarovski but it costs much less. Only used it out to 600 but good balance between weight and quality and price.

Definitely not a truck glasser other than when doing some shooting.
The Kowa is definitely intriguing, I may go that route if I can put together the funds?!
I am still interested in the athlon as well just wish someone around the Coeurd'alene area handled them. I am probably going to go and look through the Razor hd50 some time this weekend and compare it to a swaro, which may help me decide if I want to go the Kowa route?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.